Current Employment Status

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Jan 4, 2009.

?

My current job status is ...

Poll closed Jan 11, 2009.
  1. Employed and not looking

43.3%
  2. Contracting and not looking

1.7%
  3. Unemployed and actively looking for f/t employment

15.0%
  4. Unemployed and looking for contract work

5.0%
  5. Employed but looking for a change/promotion

45.0%
  6. Contractor looking for next contract

1.7%
  7. New to IT and looking for first job

11.7%
  8. Willing to help those that are seriously job-hunting

15.0%
  1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Given the current economic state and that I plus many others on here are jobhunting I thought it might be useful to take a poll on what people's current working state is with a view to helping out those who are jobhunting.

Now I'm not talking about the general advice that has been given in many posts but maybe those of us struggling to find a position can club together to help each other out ?

For instance, I get many emails with job listings and I'm sure some of the vacancies may suit people here. It's easy to miss a job advert when trawling through the various sites but we have an opportunity here to point things out to others which may help (would suggest by PM to avoid flooding the forums !).

So, if you think that is a good idea, vote away and I'll make contact with those who need the help by PM.

Prob best if we keep this to UK-based members only

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good poll, I have answered this as I'm employed and not looking, however if the right opportunity presented it, then you never know :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've been looking for about a year now, taken a few interviews but they have been for select places - for 2 considerations; 1 - I had a feeling the economy was heading this way so didn't want to jump too far into a new field; 2 - to keep my security clearance up to date and valid.

Whilst I'll be keeping my eyes open, I'm going to be thankful that I have a job I can do and do it well, and its in IT; and probably not move for a while yet.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

These are the options I chose:

Employed and not looking
    Employed but looking for a change/promotion
    Willing to help those that are seriously job-hunting

Even though the first 2 look like they contradict each other, they don't. Even though I'm not look actively, if something came along I would consider it (so I guess passively looking).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Hmmn, I prob should have said "Employed but actively looking for a change/promotion" as opposed to using it for the casual "if something came along ..."

But hey, the more the merrier ! :biggrin

6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

I'd say the same. Even though I'm happy where I am, I browse the job sites and papers every now and then, just in case.

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Employed and not looking.

My job is relatively secure just now so not taking the chance and looking for a new job with more wonga. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Employed and not looking
    Looking for promotion
    Willing to help

I could make a bit more money if I moved jobs, (maybe 20% more) but have a baby on the way in april, and sticking where I am for stabilityplus benefits of paternity leave and parental leave.

Would like a promotion though. closest I have got though is a nicer job title.

And I'm always willing to help, I have done a good few interviews as inexperienced, some experience, some experience + certs.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Understandable in the current climate !

Do tell us what that is ! :biggrin

Thanks, that might be really helpful for some of us

10. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Hi UKDarkstar

My title was Network Support Assistant. Never liked the Assistant part. HATED it, to be honest!

They were ordering me new business cards with the MCSA logo on them, so I asked them to change my title at the same time.

I am now Network Support Technician, which I feel better reflects what I do.
    I do mainly 2nd line support now, some 1st and some 3rd line too.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds like a good idea mate... I would think the Employment and Jobs area of the Forum would be a worthwhile place to 'advertise' those jobs/vacancies that we might see in the likes of the papers or on the 'net, provided the Mods don't mind. I assume we could have a 'with out prejudice' or 'sight unseen' type warning. Just because they appear on CF doesn't mean we either endorse or otherwise an employer/vacancy.

That way, people could just put vacancies they see 'up in lights'... just like we do in BCS.

12. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Isn't that what this part of the forum is suppose to do? However I guess if it was broken down into counties/countries, it would be alittle better...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I was thinking more along the lines that if I knew member X was looking for something and I spotted it on a jobsite email then I would forward it on etc.

Of course, that only works for the jobsites and most of the ads tend to be via recruiters so the other forum area may be useful for known vacancies at employers where members work.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am employed and not looking, even though I'd rather be ina full on IT job I am getting good experience at the moment and with the current climate I am safe from the redundancies which are happening at the moment and have been told I am safe even if it happens again, unless the close my place of work down.

I am also willing to help people find employment as I regularly get emails and notifications of contract IT work available, so I can pass them on if they are wanted.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Good to see the response on this but I'm sure there were more of us who were unemployed and actively looking.

Poll is open until the weekend anyway then we'll see what we can sort for those looking ansd those willing to help (and thanks for volunteering people).

:thumbleft

16. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

nice idea. I'm employed but my employers financial situation is looking pretty ropey so I'm busy job hunting atm.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  17. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'm Certainly looking for a new job and its that pesky first IT job!! I'm hopeful something will come up, I'm getting to the test stage and and interview stages when I apply so I'm not far off. Its just a shame we're in a recession...

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Employed in my first IT job, i'm more than happy in it as it's got good long term prospects being a small company and all that.

Wouldn't mind a pay rise at some point though to represent the work and effort I put in.

Kind of situation where, there are only 3 of us, so my manager will leave, my collegue will take his place and I will take my collegues place and we will hire someone to take mine, so i'm happy sitting it out.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I am currently employed in an I.T. job (my 4th i.t. job). I have short term and long term goals in mind but my current job (though low paid) which I have just started fits perfectly into my current career progression/aims and traveling ambitions - that is I have roughly 2 months booked away traveling to Alaska/U.S./Canada with a tour company/friends, the job allows me to do this. Plus the job is much closer to home.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  20. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I posted that I was employed but looking for a change or promotion- just not sure when that will be! I've only been in the role for three months, but I've seen a similar position that asks for the A+ and pays between 2 and 3k more.
    My current job role though is very good, because I get a lot of different work and I don't just sit on the phone all day.