ITIL Questions

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Rob1234, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have a few questions I hope you could help me with:

1: I was looking at the books around for ITIL and there is quite a few, could anyone who has done the exams recommend any books? Also did people jsut use the one book or a few different books.

2: Along with the books I like to do some practise exams and I see that Transcender do ITIL practise exams does anyone have any expereince with these as I thought the ITIL exam was not a multi- choice exam?

3: How long did it take people to pass this exam? and do you need any previous experience?

4: What beneift would this cert be to someone in a 1st line role?

5: Apart from books and the practise tests anyone got any other recommendations for training materials for the ITIL cert?

Thanks guys.

Certifications: A few.
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

See my first post in this thread where I detailed my study books/method.

I took the ITIL V3 Foundation rather than V2 as I figured I'd rather go with the newer version. The official ITIL site which can answer many of you questions is here. It's a very dry subject btw !

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What UKD said :)

But I'll give my own opinions also...

I used this book and this CBT only.

No, I didn't bother using practice exams this time.

I think it took me about an hour to pass the exam, however it took me a week of studying.

It depends on 2 things

1. Yourself, like any other cert you only get as much as you put in. You'll get better understanding of why management puts in certain practices and procedures. And it gives you a good ITIL base to build on when you move on up, etc...
    2. From an organisation point of view, by implementing good practices, they should get better customer satisfaction, increased efficiency of all business processes, etc...

Just the CBT mentioned above.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

1: I was looking at the books around for ITIL and there is quite a few, could anyone who has done the exams recommend any books? Also did people jsut use the one book or a few different books.

This book is pretty good, i use it now and again - should be able to get it cheap enough off ebay/amazon

http://www.itgovernance.co.uk/products/169

2: Along with the books I like to do some practise exams and I see that Transcender do ITIL practise exams does anyone have any expereince with these as I thought the ITIL exam was not a multi- choice exam?

Foundation is multiple choice, or v2 used to be anyway

3: How long did it take people to pass this exam? and do you need any previous experience?

Word paid for a 3 day course so not too bad!

4: What beneift would this cert be to someone in a 1st line role?

You get to see how good or how bad your company is

5: Apart from books and the practise tests anyone got any other recommendations for training materials for the ITIL cert?

itilcommunity website is ok to a certain extent, mainly if you have a really specific question. about half the posts on the site tho are sub-continental lads looking for jobs!

The main thing to bear in mind is that trying to relate ITIL to how your company works will fry your brain and lead to you failing - ITIL is descriptive rather than prescriptive (ie, this is how it can be done, not necessarily how it should be done) :microwave

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

It's V2 alright, it was the v2 versions of foundation and practitioner i done and i think both may be still available, not sure about that

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design