IT Apprenticeship post opening

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Hopefully this meets the conditions of posting a vancancy here :)

It looks like we have an opening at our place for an IT Apprentice post.

Good points:

You get to learn alot at our place, eg building PC's, repairing laptops, using a helpdesk, phone system, virtualisation, etc...

Training on job via this scheme is excellent: NVQ/iTQ 2 & 3, MCDST, MCSA, A+, CCNA, MOS/MCAS and after 5 years you can then apply for the LCGI (an NVQ4 level award in IT)

Bad points:

The pay... The training scheme offers £80 pw (it is a full time post), under current apprenticeship rules apprentices are exempt from the national minimum wage.

It is an entry level position, so don't expect to have domain admin rights and the ability to work on the server's/switches as soon as you start.

For the amount of users/equipment that we have you're realistically looking at a dept that has either 4 full time techs, or at least 3 full time techs with either 1 part-time tech or 1 full time IT Apprentice. Currently there is only 2 of us.

Can be good or bad points:

You get to work with Modey (Dom) and myself.

Not only do we support our own organisation, but we also support 2 other organisations, so there's some off-site work.

The IT Apprentice scheme is not a quick way into the IT world. The scheme can be approx 2-3 years long (can be longer depending on how fast you work/learn).

There is some training during the day and evenings, if the training is done during the day then it will count towards your working hours. I'm still find out if the evening training is the same thing - for us full timers evening training doesn't count towards our working hours.

Ok, now that's out of the way...

We are working with several other people on this post, so we're not only mentioning this here.

If you're interested, let us know via e-mail or a PM

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Kitkatninja

Forgot to mention it's in Wellingborough, Northants :oops:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If this is still around in a couple of years and I still havent got a full on IT job then I would be very interested.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja

The daily commute would be a killer :lol:

-Ken

5. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

*Sigh*
    If only the pay wasn't so poor, I would be on that like a rash
    The joys of committing to a mortgage too young in life :dry

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  6. Kitkatninja

Hey, but just think... When you've finished paying your mortage and own your own house, you'll have all take extra money that others won't have :)

-ken

7. greenbrucelee

yep, but if I Save cash over the next couple of years then I woul;d have the funding to support a move :)

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Stick that down in the 'minus points' column then Ken...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I would have been interested in a conversation until I saw the wages!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well it is an apprenticeship as opposed to a permanent position. Having said that, it's entirely possible that if someone were to prove themselves a real asset, that they would be made permanent with obviously the salary that a position like that entails.

Also, how much is real world experience in a large IT environment + paid for training and certifcations worth? A fair bit I would say if you consider how employable said candidate would be afterwards.

FO. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. greenbrucelee

A £500 per week drop would be hard to bear but if I get the cash together and its still around when I get the cash I'd do it.

12. greenbrucelee

Just wondering if someone like myself went for this & got it, obviously a move would be in order. Would there be any government help such as grants available for relocation and help with living costs etc?

13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it the plan is to take someone on that knows *very* little about IT and train them up?

Havent seen an "IT Apprenticeship" type job before....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Kitkatninja

Doubt it, I'm not aware of anything along those lines.

Even though we're an educational establishment, according to Microsoft's way of thinking we're a large "business"/organisation - alot bigger than a SMB.

Microsoft Small Business Server (for small businesses) - 75 Clients
    Microsoft Essential Business Server (for Medium businesses) - 300 Clients

We have approx 550 desktop/laptop machines.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, it is hard work for basically a training allowance (as that's what it is). Due to my responsibilities & family, if I wanted to get into IT and this was available, I would actually pass on this (as no matter how much I would want this, my family comes first).

However if this is something you think you can actually do, mind you the training can go on for up to 3 years (sometimes longer) for £80 pw and you want to learn alot of things, especially with new technology (in particular MS based tech), go for it...

-Ken

15. greenbrucelee

If I had the money behind me I would. I also have bills to pay and family so it's slightly unfeasable at the moment although it is very interesting.

16. Kitkatninja

Not necessarily, it could be someone who knows very little or it could be someone who knows more. However I do realise that the people who know more would not settle for £80 pw. These types of jobs aren't normally advertised as such.

-Ken

17. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Would be perfect for a youngen starting out in the world, having done GCSES/A-Levels and didn't fancy the Uni route. However I doubt many would look at it unless their clued up in a 'career' sense. Basically you could earn more pushing trolleys at Tesco.

Definitely worth it if your gonna get training/exams paid for, your young and live with mum and dad!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  18. Kitkatninja

No worries, right job wrong location and pay for you :)

It is interesting, here's a short list of things that we're working with:

Windows 2k3 & 2k8
    Virtualisation
    Telephones (digital/analogue as well as VoIP phones)
    IP CCTV
    AV (Projectors, interactive whiteboards, etc)
    MIS systems
    Library system
    Wireless
    VLE (based on Sharepoint)
    and the list goes on :)

-Ken

19. greenbrucelee

if only...still if this is around in a couple of years then sign me up.

20. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I think there should be more of these type of positions about, as they are absolutely brilliant for people trying to get into IT.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard