HELLO

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rebelmoe7, Sep 24, 2008.

1. rebelmoe7

rebelmoe7 New Member

hi forum

I am new to the IT, (2 months :oops:)

I am an apprentice working in 1st line it support (helpdesk), I fought i'd join this forum because i thinks there's alot of cool ppl with experience to learn off from

Certifications: Btec 1st Diploma Ict practitioner
    WIP: NVQ lvl 3
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello there and welcome to the forums then! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. rebelmoe7

rebelmoe7 New Member

Hi forum

As an apprentice my company are gonna release me once a week to college to study for an NVQ lv 2 or 3 for one year, then the second year they said they will pay for my mcsa certification and training.

q1. what exactly is an mcsa?? is useful :(
    q2. is the NVQ useful at all
    q3.can you advise me on anything else i can study at home or from books

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

The MCSA is a Microsoft professional qualification/credential, that is made up of a client exam, a server exam, a network exam and an elective, see here.

Candidates for the MCSA on Windows Server 2003 certification typically have 6 to 12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems. They are knowledgeable about implementing, managing, and maintaining the typically complex computing environment of mid-sized to large companies.

This is why your company said in year 2 they'll pay you to do this :)

I would say, it depends - make sure that it's the NVQ in Systems Support (or something along those lines) as the new iTQ's are mainly for powerusers and not support. NVQ 2 is GCSE level, but geared up towards a profession. NVQ 3 is A level, geared up towards a profession. See here & here.

The 3 certs that I and alot of other people recommend starting with is the Comptia A+, Comptia Network+ and the MCDST. Those 3 certs provide great foundations for both certification and career progression, imo.

Hope that helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gotta learn to use Google if you're gonna be a tech. :) Here's a link to Microsoft's MCSA page.

Is it useful? Before you've got 6 months of server administration experience in a domain environment, no, it's not useful. And that's not 6 months in IT... that's 6 months of server administration experience. After you've got that experience, then yes, it is useful.

As I'm in the US, I have no idea.

You can study anything you want at home or from books. I would recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

EDIT: Beat me by seconds, Ken. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

GO Ken! :D

*sniggers*

:p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. rebelmoe7

rebelmoe7 New Member

thanks ken and bostonmicheal.

your help is much appreciated

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did an advanced GNVQ level 3 (not sure if it was an A level back then)years ago and it was very helpfull the NVQs sparked my desire to learn IT so I say yes that will also be usefull.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. madskillz

madskillz Nibble Poster

Hi Rebel and welcome.

You sure are lucky to work for an employer who is going to invest so heavily in your future. I hope you appreciate how rare that is these days and your personal success comes quickly.

here's a link to some articles about searching the web effectively

Effective web searching

Good luck for the future!

Madz

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, ITIL v3 F
    WIP: 70-293
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. sunn