ITIL v2 or v3

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by allyb, Aug 13, 2008.

1. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi guys,

Newbie here so be gentle! I am currently losing the will to live reading a book my boss has given me called introduction to ITIL. He has tried to get it through the company I am working at for me, but due to the head of IT not budging, me being an external contractor and all, I have decided it would be a good thing to do myself instead. I am struggling to find somewhere Newcastle based that does just the exam.

My boss reckons I should do v2 as its used more by companies however everyone here seems to be sitting version 3.
    Any advice on either point much appreciated.

:)

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say do version 3 as version 3 is version 2 evolved.

See here.

Even though version 2 has not been given a retirement date, it will happen sooner than version 3. And since you are doing this by yourself, you might as well do this one.

You can sit your ITIL exam at any Vue or Prometric testing centre. If taken with Vue, then the ITIL exam comes under EXIN (Vue have recently gone into partnership with the BCS/ISEB, so expect to be able to sit their exams with Vue soon). If taken with Prometric, you have the choice of either ISEB or EXIN. Don't worry about which one you use, both are accredited official ITIL exam delivery bodies.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I thought it would be best to sit the most recent exam just the guys here at work are all advising me to do v2 strange :/

My intention is to try to merge my 2 keys areas of experience in IT, I have done 1st and 2nd line support and on site support and I am currently in a service management role. I find that I miss the techie side a lot although I do enjoy the project management side and I want to try to take the best of both and have a well rounded CV ready for my next position.

After ITIL I would like to head into MS certs and I have done the course for CCNA but never sat the exam due to never feeling ready really. Possibly then look at Prince2 but hopefully be in a position by then where a company may fund it for me. I see a lot of long lonely nights ahead :/ but hopefully ££££ in the future ;)

Thanks

Ally

4. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

I just did the course foer version 3 but as far as I know version 3 is a upgrade to version 2.
    So you would need to do version 2.

EDIT:I just did a upgrade course to version 3, was not aware there is a full version 3 course.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Kitkatninja

They were probably advising you to do the V2 exams as not all V3 exams have been released. The rest of the v3 ITIL exams will be released in 2 phases, phase 1 in Oct 2008 and phase 2 in Jan 2009. However I still stand by my recommendation to go down v3's route (otherwise you'll have to recertify to v3 at a later date costing more time and money, but it is up to you) :)

Sounds like you've got a good plan for youself, another cert/qual you may be interested in is the ISO/IEC 20000, it builds upon the ITIL framework.

Good luck with your plan :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

I did the full ITIL v2 foundation course a while back, and then the v2-v3 bridging course earlier this year.

To repeat what Ken said, v3 is really v2 tidied up a bit, with the end result that it is more logical and in my view easier to apply. Nearly all of the key concepts are exactly the same, although they have been re-arranged and a few have been renamed.

If you are doing the foundation level I can't see there being any major problem doing v3 even if all your colleagues are familiar with v2.

If you are doing the higher level service management courses (which I don't think are available yet) then the differences are going to be more significant.

David

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  7. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi Guys,

I have booked the v3 exam for the 8th sept (gulp) I am half way through the book my boss gave me OGC Intro to ITIL. Hope to god this is enough, I will get online and look for some other stuff to study too.

Any tips more than welcome, nerves will set in now.... :/

Ally

8. Kitkatninja

The exam was ok (I passed on the pass mark), what I found hard was the study material, so dry... so boring...

-Ken

9. ranatara

ranatara New Member

Please Please can you help!!!!!

I am on a 3 day course in the UK nextweek and from what I have heard there is an exam on the 3rd day.
    It is a paper based exam with 40 questions and NOT computer based.

Thanks.

10. Kitkatninja

No, these 2 are braindumps - you can lose your certifications and be banned from any future exams. Get yourself the ITIL book to read before hand and pay attention to the course.

Don't cheat, if you feel like you're not ready, don't do the course/exam.

allyb, how did the exam go?

-Ken

11. ranatara

ranatara New Member

I agree,

I think that I will study hard and I Will also try getting a book.

Thanks for putting things into perspective.

12. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I'd also like to recommend that book mentioned above. £14 and it covers what you will be tested on.

I will probably easier to work through that book and the exercises than try and work your way through a brain dump.

It worked for me .....(reading the book not the dumping) :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA