Cheap server for studying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madman045, Jun 28, 2008.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Anyone after a cheap server for studying? Insight have another HP on offer and it comes with 3yrs warranty.

Apparently it can take non ECC memory

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productp...roduct_id=HPIA04FQW&nbs_search=C=102&S=300149

Add these

2x http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146049
    1x http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138750

and for around £230 you have a server with a DVDRW, 8GB memory and 3YR warranty

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

madman045,

What study materials do you have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. madman045

Directly im doing the MCSA, however with my job, it means I have to try lots of other things, client scenerio's etc...

Soon to get Technet Plus and currently wanting to get SBS 2008 up and running...

If i was to get one of these servers, it would be Cent OS x64 and then vmware server

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

madman045,

Since some "client problems" may be down to the hardware level, you're going to have a difficult time being able to replicate each and every scenario. Also, some client problems may be because they're trying to run software with higher system requirements but maybe they received advice or decided on their own to obtain an underpowered machine for not only initial conditions but didn't adequately plan for future application and data growth.

So your first piece of homework is to research the system requirements for ALL of the MS Server OSes that you might be involved with, then research the system requirements for ALL of the applications intended for the servers. Then pick the highest system requirement among all of the OSes and Applications to use that as a MINIMUM system requirement for your "server for studying."

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Gonna take some doing mate

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks good for studying mate.

I used 3 servers for my MCSA\MCSE studies. I installed Server 2003 on each of them and then made an image of each server. After that I could configure each server the way I wanted (depending on what I was studying) and when I wanted to start over I could just use the original image to put the servers back to 'default' This meant I didnt have to activate the OS again and look for drivers etc. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Looks very good indeed for the price (I'm almost tempted even though I don't need it :) ). I found having a physical server (as opposed to virtual) for studying very useful at times. When the networking side of things starts to ramp up in complexity I have found fully virtual networks can get confusing. Is the problem my virtual to physical bridging setup or is it a software configuration issue etc... When I was studying for the 70-291 I used a fully physical lab setup at work which consisted of several servers and workstations. That's not always practical (space wise) or even possible if you can't get hold of the hardware, but it certainly helped.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Perhaps over the course of his studies he may have to do all of that, but I'm not sure how it's relavent to him buying a cheap server to start off with and have a play around with some tech on. It's a great way to learn ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. madman045

The reason why I posted this cheap server was to help people who usually buy a server off ebay for a few hundred pound, instead buy something new instead or save spend a fortune on a high end PC

I use vmware workstation on a daily basis and our server at work has a 2003 DC and using vmware server, we have exchange, sharepoint etc running as VMs which has saved us a small fortune in hardware

So for a small price get a machine more then suitable for the job, maybe install 2003 server and then use vmware server or virtual server 2005 to do the rest.

And as said already,a lot of the time it's not practical to have multiple PCs around, in my case this is certainly the way with a small house and my children, at the moment my work laptop is doing the role