Can I have some info on 70-536?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Herne, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Hi,

Getting ready to take the exam soon (probably mid-may) and I was wondering what the actual exam was like.
    So far I've gleaned that:
    - You need a pass score of 700
    - There are 40 multiple choice questions

So to my questions:
    - What is the total score for the exam, I'm guessing 1000? That would make a pass 28 / 40 questions.
    - Does that mean that each question is worth 25 marks? Or are questions individually weighted (some worth 20, some worth 30)?
    - How do the questions compare to:
    a) Those on the cd that comes with the book?
    b) The MeasureUp practice tests?
    - Is the software interface that you use the same as either of the above? (Tho obviously without the ability to show you the answers! :D)

I think that's it... :eek:

Thanks in advance,
    Nath

Certifications: MCTS
    WIP: MCPD
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Got to be honest Nath, I wouldn't worry about total marks or whether the exam is out of 1000.

You don't say what book you're using to study but, if it's an MS Press book, then I believe they are generally very good.

Provided you know your stuff, then you'll do great.

John

3. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Thanks for the vote of confidence John :o)

I agree, I've just always liked to know what I'm up against before hitting the exam room :oops:

Yup, it's the relevant MS book, cd and MeasureUp tests I'm using.

Cheers,
    Nath

4. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

Honestly I never really liked the Measure-Up practice tests. I have found a number of inaccuracies in them. I prefer Transcender but I heard Boson is good as well. If you know the material you will do well.

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging/Security, Net+, Security+
  5. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Too late, I've already paid for Measure-up! :curtain

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

really no one can tell you the answer, most answers people give you will be based on assumptions which maybe close to what it is or wildly inaccurate. assumptions are that the number of questions seem to vary from 40-70, (however ms do not always score all questions as some maybe inserted for other reasons), questions are weighted based on perceived difficulty, how many points each one could be is total hearsay (no not the flash in the pan teeny boppers).

We know for sure however that the minimum pass mark on MOST ms exams is 700 and answering all questions correctly would give you a score of 1000. check the objectives on the ms site for the exam you are taking for a bit more info.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Thanks Dale.

I guess that's why I've not been able to find the answer anywhere...! :o) I wonder what reason they could have for inserting random questions...

Cheers,
    Nath

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think they put them in to test weather it would be good for inclusion later on perhaps BM could explain a bit more. I've so far not spotted one in my exams that seems a little odd being there but i suppose they use them to try an gauge how appropriate an amendment or additional objective would be. again a bit of a guess.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dales is right. Microsoft adds in unscored questions to "beta test" them. Those questions that Microsoft decides to keep will be added permanently to the question pool.

As others have already said, nobody knows what the maximum scores are - and they could be different for each exam. You might get a batch of questions where the maximum score is 1000. I might get a batch of questions where the maximum score is 983. There are rumors that scores of higher than 1000 were possible in some rare cases, but I have not seen proof of that.

Further, nobody knows what the minimum scores are. CompTIA scores on a 100-900 scale... Cisco scores on a 300-1000 scale. Why should we assume that Microsoft scores on a 0-1000 scale? We simply have no way of knowing, and Microsoft isn't saying.

Adding to the confusion, the questions may or may not be weighted based on difficulty. We can assume that partial credit is not given on questions... but to be honest, nobody knows that for sure either.

Add all of that up, and you'll see that it is useless to try to figure it out. You simply cannot rely on answering 70% of the questions correctly to pass... because 700 probably doesn't equal 70%. The best thing you can do is to study all of the concepts completely.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Stephen Lowe

Stephen Lowe New Member

In adaptive Certification tests (at least the ones I've seen), the number of questions depends on how well, or poorly, you answered previous questions. Essentially, it will pass you if you correctly answer a sufficient number of questions on each topic, or cut you off if you're missing too many, without taking you through the entire exam. This may affect the "Total Possible" score.

Stephen Lowe
    disclaimer: Though I work for Microsoft as an Architect Evangelist, my opinions (and occasional errors) are my own. ISV Facebook Group………………………….http://tinyurl.com/392ovq

11. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Is 70-536 an adaptive exam? :eek:

12. BosonMichael

Adaptive exams haven't been offered in a looooong while.... not since the NT4 elective exams, if I remember correctly.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Heh, ok. Thanks BosonMichael :o)

Nath

14. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Took it today and passed - here's my feedback in case anyone wants it ;)

40 questions. Much harder than the ones on the CD or the measure up stuff.

Any Q's feel free to ask.
    Nath

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done - Congrats...

17. BosonMichael

Congrats!

18. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Thanks everyone :biggrin

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one Herne 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. xor2

xor2 New Member

Could you Herne please add a hint what type of questions did you have?
    Were they really harder then these from MeasureUp?

I am taking this exam in 4 days and any help will be appreciated, thanks :)