advice needed CCNA

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by krusty83uk, Jan 19, 2008.

1. krusty83uk

krusty83uk New Member

hello,

I finshed a degree last year i got a B.S.c In Network Computing. Iam looking into doing a CCNA to build on my B.S.c so I have a greater chance of getting a good job.

I know you can do the CCNA from home and pay to sit the exam in local test centers i heard this is around £60 - 100 mark. Everywhere i search online wants £1000s.

Can someone please help me by tellin me how to go about this. In the most simple way possible ha

Thanks guys

All the best

Russell

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A CCNA without some real-world IT experience won't be very useful to you. The CCNA doesn't have anything to do with entry-level jobs, and employers won't hire people without experience to administer routers. The best thing you could do to complement your BSc is to get an entry-level IT job and start building experience. To help you get that entry-level job, you should pursue entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

You don't need to pay thousands for any certification, including the CCNA. You can do it all through self-study. Just get a few books and some hardware/software, and you'll be good to go.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have to agree with Michael. I had earned my A+ and Network+ certs a number of years back while at uni and started to get offers for various contract jobs. I really liked networking (still do) and was attracted to the CCNA when all of my peers were pursuing Microsoft certifications. I went ahead and took the Cisco Netacademy course and eventually sat and passed the CCNA exam.

I *did* get one repeating contract job installing Cisco routers and switches as part of an Ethernet rollout for a bunch of banking branches, but it was the only Cisco related job I scored...and it didn't *really* require that I have a CCNA since the job was heavily scripted and the NOC did all of the testing and configuring remotely.

I'd say get some practical experience under your belt and if your career path seems to require Cisco certifications, pursue them at that point.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

CCNA can be taken over 4 semester at most College's in the UK.
    Some even run fast-track courses.
    Total cost should not be more than £1000.
    I thought you had to have done Semester 1-4 before taking the CCNA exam, but i could be wrong?
    But you could also do A+ & N+ which you can just book at test & sit the exam (2 for A+, 1 for N+)

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+