Is anyone doing the equals with the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by minkey, Jan 3, 2008.

1. minkey

minkey Bit Poster

Is anyone doing the equals with the A+

i am and got equals exam at the end of feb

Certifications: dove-dipolma of vocational education
    WIP: COMPTIA A+ with equals
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm doing the multiply with the A+. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. rwlk

rwlk Bit Poster

what's equals? (don't laugh, i really don't know what it is):blink

Certifications: B.Sc.
    WIP: CCNA, CWNA, Security+
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I've done A+, and never heard of "equals" so... explain?? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

E-Quals are the iPRO (OCR) modules that are "bolted" on to the A+ modules.

You may be asking why do this? Why not just do the A+? Simple answer... Government funding.

If you do the straight A+ at your local college/training provider, the course can cost up to £3000. However if you do the A+ course in conjunction in the iPRO route the course costs approx £362 (+ exam fees of £222), plus not only do you get the A+ cert, but you also get a qual from OCR.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Interesting... self study was cheaper :biggrin

Thanks for clearing that up Ken!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. BosonMichael

Agreed - being 'Merican, I had no idea either.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I had no idea either, it is funny how these government funded projects are'nt widley known they must be wanting to keep the money for themselves.8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Kitkatninja

You'd be surprised, how may different qualifications there are in the UK and how many times it's changed (eg new qualifications are added, new types, education boards merging/spliting, etc). Even people in the UK have a hard time figuring out what is what.

You've got what is know as: S/NVQ, HNC, HND, dipHE, BSc, BA, MSc, MA, fdSc, fdA, fdEng, Btec First, Btec National, Edexcel, OCR, RSA, City & Guilds, Diploma, Digital diploma, GCSE, A level, GCE, O level, CSE, LCGI, GCGI, and that's just scratching the surface of UK qualifications...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  10. BosonMichael

:ohmy

Perhaps Boson needs to open a UK office! :eek:

11. Kitkatninja

It's not so much that projects aren't wildly known. Educational institutes and some training providers get funds per student and I believe it's down to the individual educational institutes to provide the courses (this includes searching all the different educational bodies: Edexecel, C&G, etc).

The UK Government have already invested £750 million pounds into further education, see here. And while there has been an increase of further education students the "UK lags behind its international competitors, ranked 24th out of 29 developed nations for the proportion of young people staying on in education or training after the age of 16. The number of adults in the workforce without the skills needed to succeed in a modern economy is also high: the UK is ranked 17th out of 30 countries. At the same time, nations such as India and China are rapidly improving their skills base.", see here.

Looking around I do believe this is a combination of people not wanting to stay on for further/higher education and the fact that even though the UK has invested £750m, it is truly not enough.

-Ken

12. Kitkatninja

Anyway back to the original question, anyone doing the E-quals exams? :lol:

-Ken

13. AuRoR

AuRoR Bit Poster

sorry for bumping an old thread but does this have anything to do with this

i'm considering whether to do the above course or the national diploma for i.t practitioners. the thing is im 21 and don't want to be in full time education too long. the diploma is 2 years and the other is 1 year long. that combined with the Comptia certs is an option i'm considering.

has anyone does this ipro course?
    does these 2 courses have parallel objectives?
    are they a viable option for getting straight into employment.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Certifications: GNVQ ICT, Nat Diploma IT Practitioners
    WIP: Head above water
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The National Diplomas a good course, I signed up for it about 5/6 years ago. The college I was at pulled a screw job though and turned it into a Nat Cert just before we started followed by our course head leaving with a nervous breakdown and removing the option to get your CCNA at the same time.

But the national diploma course itself is well worth it.

Others on here will probably weigh in with this at some point but the CompTIA certifications generally only get noticed if you've got 'real world' IT experience, the national diploma should give you the paperwork to either find something at entry level then after you've been working for a bit the certifications are worth attacking.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. pfairbrother

pfairbrother Bit Poster

I enquired about an MCDST course at Stockton College and they are offering an eQuals route to cover their funding restrictions.
    On offer is the 70-270 and 70-271 modules but also a 'compulsory' City and Guilds Qualification labelled as C&G402- Customer Support.

The full offering of Level 2 and Level 3 eQuals Software Diplomas is listed below including A+, N+, Sec+, Vista (70-620) and Server 2008 70-640.

Level Two Part Time Software Diploma (One year course) (Thursday evening)

Consists of the following modules

402 - City & Guilds Customer Support
    Semester One - 414 (70-271) MCDST 1
    Semester Two - 415 (70-272) MCDST 2

All modules must be completed to pass module. The cost of the course is £300 for the year plus £42 for each Microsoft exam

Level Three Part Time Software Diploma (Two year course)
    Consists of the following modules

502 - City & Guilds Customer Support
    Year One
    Semester One - Network Plus
    Semester Two - Security Plus
    Year Two
    Semester One - Microsoft Windows Vista (70-620)
    Semester Two - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (exact course still to be confirmed, most probably 70-640)

All modules must be completed to pass module. The cost of the course is £400 per year plus £42 for each Microsoft exam, £84 for the Network Plus exam & £104 for the Security Plus Exam (all exam costs may alter)

Certifications: MCP (70-271)
    WIP: A+. 70-272