i must confess something

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kobem, Dec 23, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You recognize me from my damn questions about technical concepts. After a long time ,
    i needed to say something you didn'T know.

my maths marks were great and others such as your language English but only one lesson
    could become hard ! Name of it was PHYSICS!

main reason for the questions i asked would be that fact. i wanted that you knew this.

Certifications: CCNA
  2. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i advise you not to ignore this message of me

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? Why? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

because of physics means computer and computer means physics , so that my physics
    is bad i have hard times to understand the facts

5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I think he's had a few...:alc

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok then :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No threats please Kobem, it is the holiday season after all.

Please hold fire until the new year :berrr:lolbang:what?:noob:eggface:fatherxma

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What does physics have to do with recognizing the difference between a measurement of electrical cycles and computer bits? I see no relationship between the two at all. My wife couldn't tell anyone the first thing about physics, but she understood the difference between bits and hz very easily. It took her all of about a minute to understand the difference and that's only because she didn't know what the terminology meant. She'd never heard the words before.

My wife has an IQ that's just a hair above exactly average. That tell you anything, Kobem? It means the average person almost instantly "gets" things about technology that you don't without a lot of help. That's nothing against you. It just means your brain isn't hard wired to be able to understand technology.

There are a lot of people like you. I can't tell you how many times I've walked in homes worth several hundred thousand dollars, and the owners are very successful people, but they couldn't figure out how program their digital thermostat with the instructions right in front of them. They just didn't "get" it. You're pretty much the same way.

Like I've said before. Change fields of study. Do something more in line with how you are put together. You have abilities, just not technical abilities. It's painful to see how much you just can't grasp, and yet see you intent on wanting to work with something that in no way, shape or form, comes naturally to you. Do something in line with those things you excel at. Computer technology is NOT one of those areas. If it was, you would be teaching those of us here on the board some things, rather than needing to have us explain the most elemental levels of technology to you.

How do you think you're going to work in this field? Ask everyone around you for answers because you don't understand what's going on? Please, for your own sake, reconsider your goals and plans. You will be very happy later on in your life that you did. Show people you trust your posts here and people's responses to them, especially mine, and see what they say. If you don't trust me to be correct ask your professors to come and evaluate what's going on here. Ask your parents, your friends, your relatives, any and all of them, for their honest opinions after seeing all of this.

Do not just blow this off. I'm honestly doing my best to help you for the rest of you life. I really do care about what happens to you. You might not like what I have to say, but it's the truth. I just don't want to see anyone go through any harder knocks than they have to, and that includes you, Kobem....

I'm doing for you what no one ever did for me when I was young, and I have paid a heavy price for some of the decisions I made because of it. I don't want to see anyone else have to unnecessarily have to go through the kinds of things I've gone through. I'm a crippled up old fart who is that way because of decisions I made when young and have had to learn what I know through the school of hard knocks. Please take me seriously and try to understand the spirit in which I've said this.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Kobem - I have a Maths degree, and studied Physics also in the first 2 years of my course. You cannot approach Physics like Maths, because it is not quite so logical, it is conceptual, and intuitive. Think about how everyday things around you work, for example a refrigerator or a car engine, or an aircraft and what principle of Physics are involved. When you get drowned in theory and equations you lose sight of what it is all about.

Some books present Physics ideas in a more practical way than a standard textbook, eg.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Things-Wo...33/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1198453995&sr=11-1

(ISBN number : 0-471-59473-3)

Also you might want to have a look at some of the books written by Richard Feynman, a very widely read and popular author. He is actually quite honest about the subject I think when it comes to the invisible entities such as atoms and electrons etc, with one quote in particular worth reading :-

‘What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does.’

For example, nobody really knows what electricity actually is, scientists only have theories about it, and understand how it behaves.

The concepts can be hard because they are only 'models' of reality, approximations, and the truth is there is a great deal that science just does not understand. When people 'understand' they really have only become familiar with something.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Rover has it spot on dude (rep will be given).

Anyone can study and study a concept but not everyone can apply this concept when it becomes a reality.

So what I am really saying is Kobem you need to study more8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think you hit it with your second sentence. No one is capable of understanding everything. We all have our weak areas. It's the ability to understand ourselves well enough to understand what it means to us when we find areas in which we are exceptionally weak.

If I can't spell or write coherent sentences should I try to be a journalist or an author? If I can't understand how to add or subtract should I attempt to become an accountant? If I can't understand how mechanical things work should I try to become a mechanic? If I am completely uncoordinated physically should I attempt to become a professional athlete? If I struggle mightily with basic computer concepts should I attempt to enter the IT field?

If I enter a field in which I just can't understand the concepts that field is built on, what's my life going to be like? Will I be successful?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Here are the subjects where I can just about grab the basic principles, maybe:

- Economics
    - Design of all forms
    - Art (was told not to take art at GCSE because I was that bad!)

I am not an artistically-minded person at all. All of that 'talent' has gone into computing, maths, and physics (with physics being the weakest of the three) which I barely have any problem grasping at all at speed. I wonder if it's quite natural, but there it is! I see things as either right or wrong based purely on logic, and refuse to shift on an issue unless the logic it is logically sound. 'Emotional judgement' makes little to no sense to me, hence my confrontations with women on emotional issues.

It should be noted that I am basing these words on both my own judgements and what others have told me.

It's just the way that we think.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Kobem, just because you post a thread doesn't mean that people *have* to respond. While your "threat" if that's what it was, did result in people responding, it probably didn't create the desired type of responses. Being a member of this forum is a privilege, not a right. Please keep that in mind.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I can't draw well. I have neither the patience nor the talent for it.

I can't cook either... I'm too analytical for the "art" of cooking. What is a "pinch" of salt? Can you give me that in grams? How brown should something be if you "cook until brown"? If the steak should be warmed to 145F, is that 145F on the edge? on top? in the middle? on bottom? All over? My mind works great for Chemistry... poorly for cooking.

I won't ever be a good basketball player. I'm of average height, and have a below-average aim.

I get bored with repetitive tasks. I'm not good at building things with my hands. Although I love horror movies, I get a few butterflies in my stomach when I see real blood. That affects quite a few career fields right there.

I say this because there are some things I won't be good at no matter how hard I try to do them... and especially if I don't take the advice of others who are skilled in the field.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

That sounds like autism :blink

I don't know if you've read about it? It's actually quite an interesting read..

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  16. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks GBL, I would add that carrying out some basic experiments can also be helpful, eg electronics projects, for which many useful resources such as hobbyist magazines are available.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  17. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

just another notes you will have a look at ............

my chemistry was good almost great also my german too ...
    but i chose computer science . In a way this choice
    was sensible ...

18. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Nah, I'm not autistic. I don't have any social problems nor exhibit any repetitive behaviours, and have several circles of friends who just think I'm very clever.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just because you are good at Chemistry and German doesn't mean you have the aptitude for Computer Science. Unfortunately, from what I've seen of your questions on here (and mind you, that's all I know of you), you simply don't seem to have the knack for computers. When you read things about computers in books, you say it confuses you, and when we explain things to you in basic terminology, you don't understand what we're saying.

So the problem is either you haven't learned the basics well enough, or you're incapable of understanding technology concepts. In the hope that you just haven't learned the basics well enough, several of us have asked that you review the basics, which you seem either unwilling to do or incapable of doing. If you're unwilling to learn the basics, then you will fail. If you are incapable of learning technology, then you will fail. I'm sorry, kobem... I don't see that you have the aptitude or the willingness to succeed.

Prove me wrong. If you DO have the ability to understand technology, it is my hope that you have a change of attitude and *seriously* study some books that teach the VERY basics of technology, preferably in your native language. If you think you know the basics, I promise you, you do not. If you think you're "beyond that level", I promise you, you are not. The basics are what you need to succeed, and you do not have them. Without them, you will fail. Please, please consider taking the time to study them until you fully understand them. If you refuse, then you will not survive in IT. Learn the basics, and give yourself a fighting chance.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

thanks for the advice