Political Correctness Going Too Far ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rover977, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Is it just me or is this just going a step too far in the cause of political correctness :-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2007111...tmasoffbeat;_ylt=Aq39UBPcAxc7QArEfyrysa0uQE4F

Is nothing sacred anymore ? What other words will be banned in case they sound too much like some other word that offends someone ? Santa saying 'ha, ha, ha' just doesn't seem the same.

:fatherxma

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

Saying "hahaha" will definitely make children feel that Santa is laughing at them :twisted:

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's ridiculous. Most kids wouldn't have a clue what the "other" possible meaning of "ho" might be (and those who do have their parents to blame). Personally, I think the concept of "political correctness" went over the line a long time ago. I think you can avoid being deliberately rude and offensive to people without having to attend to "the petty slights of the hypersensitive". :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Political corectness pisses me off.

There is no need in it.

I went to Birmingham last year and the council had banned an Indian restaurant for having Merry Christmas signs up and a Christmas tree in the lobby because it might offend Muslims :blink

The council obviousley negated the fact the the Indian restaurant was owned by a Muslim.

The council said Christmas should be called Winterval :blink

Because the Christ in Christmas might offend a Muslim, the must have also forgot the the Koran talks about Jesus being one their holy prophets, so how can that offend them?

The sooner political correctness is stopped the sooner the world will be a more peaceful place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

It makes you wonder what type of people are issuing these edicts, and what level of intelligence they have. As far as I am aware no Muslims at all have made complaints against references to Christ or Christmas in public places. It is a very small-minded thing to do, and the most galling thing of all is that we as members of the public must fund these petty-foggers through the taxation system.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Does it go both ways? I mean, are there public displays involving Islamic holidays or are Muslims prohibited from such things because it might offend Christians and Jews?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Way too far, whatever happened to common sense these days? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs