Cerco IT Training & Recruitment

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mac, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac New Member

I have noticed that there are several people out there who have taken a fast track course with Cerco I am interested in speaking with those of you who have done this course and have failed to secure any work from Cerco.

If you are one of these people then please contact me

2. nooster

nooster Bit Poster

I am one of those unlucky enough to have passed the CERCO course with distinction and have had only 3 small jobs from them:cry::x

Certifications: CCSN (CERCO)
  3. grim1957

grim1957 New Member

Hi mac, just signed up here, well I'm one of them ya after, finished my course early October, and all I have had from them is two days work doing data transfers (riveting stuff(not)) and not a sign of any decent work, admittedly my location don't help, being on the East coast of Scotland Edinburgh being 70 miles away and Newcastle the same in the opposite direction. Need any more info shout bud OK.

Certifications: CCSN
  4. kujox

kujox New Member

I looked at this the other day and took the test, the only reason I was looking into it was they put you in a job but if that's not the case then i see no point.

5. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Loads of posts about Cerco on here, just do a search, funnily enough I received a voucher book from them that paid me some money if I recommend anyone to them that signs up with them just before xmas, hehehe cant remember the amounts `cause it went straight in the bin. The course itself is ok but the job placement (careers team *really*) leave a lot to be desired.

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  6. nooster

nooster Bit Poster

Just thought it might be helpful to someone to hear of my experiences of the past few months. The four weeks course itself was very good but it is difficult to fail as you practice the answers to the test each week many times. the practical is the same you get a practice run and the test the next day is almost identical. during the course you are assigned to one of the recruitment team as a point of contact when you get home.

I was made aware before setting out on the course that this is not the best area (East Anglia) for entry level jobs. In the past 3 months I have done 5 ad hoc jobs for them but the distance I have to travel to each one has meant the money is not great. some jobs pay £22 per call some only £15 and you are taxed on this amount and have to pay your own fuel so you need several jobs close together to make it pay. I have also found that four of the five customers were not happy with the service they had been given so far so you need to be prepared to listen and not comment on their complaints.

I am lucky enough to have a part time position to help pay off the 4K loan amongst other things but this has its downside as well. On two occasions Cerco have expected me to drop this job without notice to go to interviews (eventually never went but thats a long story) or on a course without any guarantee of work at the end. Interviews are of course no problem as you only need a day off but to ask someone to give up a post without notice for only the possibility of work is a bit much. Apparently according to Cerco most positions at entry level will be contract with no guarantee so this is an important consideration before taking the course. If you live in a rural area like I do contract positions are not attractive due to the time and petrol spent traveling. Of course other jobs in these areas are not easy to find either hence my reluctance to give up what i have with no guarantee.

So if you live in an area where Cerco has lots of contract work and are prepared to pay 4K for a course that gives you a certificate that is generally only recognized by Cercos partners this may be what you are looking for. If you already have a job be aware that Cerco may expect you to drop everything at a few days notice to take up a position with one of their partners and if you don't they will say that they have fulfilled their commitment to you.

I know that some on the same course as me have found full time employment with Cerco and I'm pleased that its worked for them but there are others looking for the first real break like me but live in the wrong area. I think it would be fairer of Cerco to point out that you need to be prepared to stay unemployed until they can find you something as most work at entry level they get will be contract.

You may think that I'm just bitter that Cerco has not worked so far for me but thats not the case its just going to take a long time for them to find something suitable. I have been on some interviews found by myself and they all say that they have never heard of Cerco and asked why I never took a recognized qualification and to be honest I wish thats what I had done.

Anyway thats my long rambling experience so far hope it may help others decide if this course is for them.

Certifications: CCSN (CERCO)
  7. grim1957

grim1957 New Member

I can back up what nooster is saying 100%. I am also in the back end of no-where which does not help employment prospects, but I try to live in hope ( although a very faint hope) that cerco will find me something. I haver only done two days work of rivetting data transfer:cry:. I was on the same course as nooster at exactly the same time. My advice SPEND your money elsewhere.

Certifications: CCSN
  8. mark corlett

mark corlett New Member

Hi
    I did the Cerco course back in January 2007. As most people say the course its self is good, but it is very expensive. The after care is not so good. In the first two weeks of the course finishing I had lots of positive calls from Cerco promising futore work but none came through. After two weeks I received a weekly call asking how the job hunt was going, I had aplied for loads of stuff in person on the net and by letter but I either got ignored or a rejection letter. After a month the calls from Cerco vanished and I had to keep phoning them to see if anything was coming up.
    Eventually I got a lead from one of my Cerco course buddies which led to a contract with the computer people. The job lasted two months and I was paid a £170 a night four nights a week setting up new till systems in the Staples group through out the UK. I really enjoyed it but the contract soon came to an end. In June Cerco got me a position with a middle sized IT company as a contractor some weeks I worked 12 hours others I worked 36 hours, with Cercos cut I got £8.00 an hour and 23p a mile petrol allowance. It was tuff going to survive luckily I had a part time hotel job to keep my familys head above water.
    My area was not the best for IT jobs so I always have to drive a long way to work, in doing so I got to like it! I have now been taken on full time as a Deployment engineer and drive all over the UK, I have several IT courses coming up and the company are great to work for. So as they say January 2007 I was a hotel manager - bored with my job and annoyed at my wage. January 2008 I was an IT dude happy with my job and wage, everyday I advance my IT knowledge and that feeling of being developed by a company is great.
    Would i go through it again with Cerco : NO. But I would definatly start in IT but by another means. My advice would be to take some Network exams and sign on

up to a decent agency and do anything to get established as a good worker. The Cerco thing on your C.V does not impress many IT recruiters.

Certifications: CCNA, Network +
    WIP: HP AIS, CCNP