Memorising Information

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fergal1982, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've just started reading Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind (Those of you who hate him, bear with me, those who dont know him, go Here). I hate to say its quite interesting. Just finished the section on memory, where he details his techniques for memorising information.

So far I've only tried this a couple of times, but I'm impressed and would suggest to anyone needing to memorise information to pick the book up and read, if nothing else, that one section. I think it may well revolutionise the way you study and try to remember your information.

For instance, his first technique teaches you to memorise a list of 20 items. Trying it out without the technique, I managed about 6. After the technique (and a couple of days after applying it to the list), I can still recall the list of 20 successfully.

He then goes on to teach his numeric system, which can be used for various things. For example, I applied it to the list of actions that a Laser Printer goes through. Its a short list, I know, but served as a useful example. I looked at this list once, about an hour ago and can tell you now that its (according to meyers AIO 5th Ed at least):

1. Clean
    2. Charge
    3. Write
    4. Develop
    5. Transfer
    6. Fuse

You're going to have to trust that I didnt look it up Im afraid. And I know that its only after an hour, but bearing in mind that I looked at each item only long enough to apply the technique, I think its fairly impressive.

Honestly, I would seriously recommend that anyone needing to learn wads of information pick the book up (hell, go to the library and borrow it, costs nothing), and read that one chapter.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have heard good things about his remembering stuff techniques but have never thought about actually buying his stuff.

I may look into getting a copy of his book

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?