Just sat the 71-649 (MCSE Upgrade Exam)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Well as the title suggests, I just sat the 71-649 exam.

It was one hard exam, when I did the 71-621 (MCDST upgrade), the books that I got and the User Guides/Step by Step guides from MS, plus using the OS was enough. This time round it wasn't.

The step by step guide were ok, but didn't really tell you why you were doing things. Books, what books? And as for using Longhorn, while I was using it, I probably wasn't using it as much as Win2k3.

One tip for anyone who is going to do this exam, without breaking the NDA...

Make sure you know how to do everything in the core version as the full version.

This exam (well my version) was about 3 hours long, hey it a beta and covers: Active Directory Configuration, Network Infrastructure Configuration & Application Platform Configuration. See here & here for more info.

Well, now I have to wait up to 3 months to offically know that I failed :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info as am sure you definately gave the exam your best shot. You never know you might have also passed, but three months to wait is quite a strain. Cheerio and thanks for sharing:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm sure you gave it your best shot, Ken. I hear the beta exams can be rough. Even though you didn't pass, it sounds like you learned a great deal from the experience.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Definately! :)

At the end of the day, I don't lose anything. If I pass, great... If I don't at least I'll be more aware for next time.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Let's hope for the best.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP