Should I include my previous work experience on my resume?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am questioning whether to put on my resume my previous work experience in the information technology field on my resume. I worked in the information technology field for about 10 years probably a little less than that. Soon after completing my GED I completed a vocational school and received a certification as a computer operator. Soon after that I got my first job as a computer operator and a few other similar jobs after that and my last job was as helpdesk operator and trainer. Then things got slow I couldn’t find a job in the IT field and I began to work in manufacturing for a while and then soon after that I entered a drug rehabilitation program.

When I came out of the rehabilitation program I began to work in manufacturing while trying to reenter the field that I enjoy so much computers. It was very difficult for me to work in manufacturing and study computer repair at the same time. Later about 4 years into working in the manufacturing field I was able to stop working and finish my studies in computer repair certification. My question is should I put on my resume my previous work experience in the information technology field on my resume which is pretty much outdated and how should I explain the gaps in my employment while I was in rehab ially or should I just wait until I am interviewed to explain that time in my life. I need this advice soon as I am just recently graduated and looking for a job again in the information technology field and don’t know what to do about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know... I probably would, because any experience would help give you an advantage over your competition. However, if you choose to do so, be prepared to explain (in general - no need to give so many details that you hang yourself) why you left IT in the first place.

Otherwise, if you choose not to list your past work experience, be prepared to:
    1) answer why you are "starting" IT at a relatively late age, and
    2) compete with other entry-level folks for an entry-level job, with no experience advantages listed on your resume/CV to help you stand out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Prof - how old are you if you dont mind me askin?

4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

My advice would be to get advice on how to write your CV in a way that would allow you to put it in. Google 'functional CVs' for example.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. Professor-Falken

I am 39 why do you ask?

Professor Falken

6. Professor-Falken

I dont understand item 2 could you explain it another way.
    Thanks,

Professor Falken

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Item 2 says that if you don't list your previous IT experience, you'll look quite similar to everyone else who also doesn't have IT experience. You won't have anything to make your CV special, except for your A+ certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

If you don't want to explain your time in rehab (sorry if I've misread that part) you could always say you went travelling. I know a few people that have filled gaps in with that one.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Professor-Falken

Thanks for the advice I recently read a book about resumes and it said I should use the functional resume. So your right. Thanks for the advice.

Professor Falken

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

cuz i always thought you were a young fella....
    ...not that i think that your an old fella now

11. mrngorickets

mrngorickets Banned

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

12. mrngorickets

mrngorickets Banned

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit:
    Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've got a similar problem as I've been dicking around over the last few years which has made a mess of my nice long-service consistent CV.

One solution that I found was to split your employment history into 'relevant employment', where you list anything, well, relevant and 'other work experience' where you list anything that isn't. The added bonus is that it throws the chronology out and helps hide any gaps. It's half way between a chronological CV and a functional CV.

Less than ideal perhaps, but if the recession has seen you out of work for a while, or taking jobs that you don't stick at or aren't proud of, it's a solution...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I would put it in, experience is experience!