Open University

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by csx, Apr 18, 2007.

1. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys/Girls,

There was a post within a thread about using Microsoft Exam as credential towards a open uni degree.

Don't suppose any one has any more information regarding this, such as how many points an exam could count towards etc?

Considering Open Uni and wondering how i can make it shorter with exams etc... (Already been at college 5 years dont want to spend another 5years!!)

I will have a HNC in IT in a months time so this should count towards some points also... Just wondering if i could qualify for the second year or possibily the third!

Thanks,

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did it myself last year.
    I suspect that I was the only person who did because there was general chaos and nobody had a clue how it was supposed to work.

I even had to post them a link to their own website.

Basically they accept a couple of MCPs, you just pay about £65 and submit your MCP transcript to them.

I believe there are currently two versions of this, depending on which MCPs they are. These will count towards an OU qualification.

HTH

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Can you remember the link so i can take a quick peep?

When you say qualification, do you mean modules? did the MCP(s) get you past the first year?

Thanks,

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The one I did was MT127.
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01MT127

You need to have one of the following:
    MCDST
    215 and 218
    290 and 291

They basically convert your MCP(s) into a 30 point level one course.

The other is a level 2 30pt course MT227
    http://www.computing.open.ac.uk/802...57242000DD1DB?OpenDocument&subsection=courses

Here you need combinations of 3 MCPs, for example:
    270 and 290 and 291

You can't use the same MCP for the two courses. So if you use 280 towards MT127 and then you pass 290 and 291, you can't apply for the 227.

Make sense?
    :blink

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a bit more complicated than that.
    As I said, MT127 will give you 30 points at level 1.

Typically an OU qualification such as a Diploma will set you requirements such as:

Must have X points at level one, X points at level 2 and X points at level 3.

If the qualification you choose requires 60 points at level 1, then your MCPs will only give you half of that. You will need to choose another 30 point level 1 course to get the full requirement.

The good thing is, you already have the MCP so the points are free (study-wise).