RJ45 Plugs + Crimping Tools

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Does anyone know where i can buy a decent crimping tool and rj45plugs aswell? I know Maplins does both here and here, but i want around 50 plugs, and the plugs seems to be pricey :rolleyes: ...

I have to go through the trial and error process of wiring up CAT 5 cable!

I am more concerned about the plugs than anything else.

Thanks

2. Mr.Cheeks

geez - never realised amazon done them!

Thanks for your help!

3. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

your welcome

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Don't forget a decent pair of wire snippers, cable tester, cable tonor (a great idea if you haven't put the cables in yourself), screwdrivers and a good punch tool.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Mr.Cheeks

whats a cable tonor?

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

One of THESE

Attatch the "box" end to a pair of wires and then use the "wand" to trace/find the other end of the cable. This has to be the most useful piece of test kit I have. You can't guess the amount of time I have saved tracing wires with this :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True, if you are going to get involved in cabling it is a must have - i have used one for the past 8 years.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I got my crimp tool, RJ45 connectors and a shed load of patch cable from amazon.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Mr. Cheeks,

The tools you will need are:
    1. An RJ-45 connector crimper
    2. A network cable/channel tester that can certify Category 5, Category 5e, or Category 6 depending on the cable/channel you are testing.

The materials you will need are:
    1. For Category 5
      • Certified Category 5 cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 5 that are tuned for the Category 5 cabling.
    2. For Category 5e
      • Certified Category 5e cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 5e that are tuned for the Category 5e cabling.
    3. For Category 6
      • Certified Category 6 cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 6 that are tuned for the Category 6 cabling.

Rules:
    • Do not purchase any cabling and RJ-45 connectors that you cannot cerifiably cable/channel test with your cable/channel tester.
      • Reasons:
        • If you cannot certify the cable/channel and you get performance less than expected, it's because it failed 1 or more of the certification tests for: 1) Cat 5 2) Cat 5e 3) Cat 6.
        • Cat 5 has 4 tests it must pass to be certified.
        • Cat 5e has 6 tests it must pass to be certified.
        • Cat 6 has 12 tests it must pass to be certified.
    • Do not mismatch the category rating between the cable and connector.
      • Reason: On the "Category 6 Cabling Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers" webpage, it states:
        • Q: If we use a Cat 5e RJ45 connector and connect it to a Cat 6 UTP cable, will the installation be Cat5e or Cat 6?
        • A: By definition (of the standard), it will be a Cat 5e channel. The actual performance will probably be somewhat better, but nowhere near Cat 6 requirements. Of course, you can set up a channel using any components and measure it using a Cat 6 (level III) compliant tester, and if it passes, it is Cat 6 performance compliant. It would not be standards compliant however, because the components have requirements in and of themselves to assure interoperability with other Cat 6 components.
    • Do not purchase cabling and RJ-45 connectors that are not part of a tuned pair.
      • Reasons:
        • From the "Category 6 Cabling, Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers" webpage:
          • Q: What is a "tuned" system between cable and hardware? Is this really needed if product meets the standard?
          • A: The word "tuned" has been used by several manufacturers to describe products that deliver headroom to the Category 6 standard. This is outside the scope of the Category 6 standard. The component requirements of the standard have been carefully designed and analyzed to assure channel compliance and electrical/mechanical interoperability.
        • A Cat 5 RJ-45 connector + Cat 5 UTP cable + Cat 5 RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 5 cable (due to abovementioned 4 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 5 cable).
        • A Cat 5e RJ-45 connector + Cat 5e UTP cable + Cat 5e RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 5e cable (due to the abovementioned 6 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 5e cable).
        • A Cat 6 RJ-45 connector + Cat 6 UTP cable + Cat 6 RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 6 cable (due to the abovementioned 12 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 6 cable).
    • Do not use uncertified cabling/channel in a production environment without using a cable/channel that certifies category tests.
      • Reason: If you have a Gigabit switch connected to the patch panel with a certified Cat 5e patch cable, an unknown ethernet channel between the patch panel behind the walls to the wall outlet, and a certified Cat 5e patch cable connecting the wall outlet to the computer/server, the unknown ethernet channel may be the bottleneck for the expected Gigabit ethernet performance due to possible older cabling (like forgotten Cat 3 cabling), uncertified cabling category (like a Cat 5e channel that only meets Cat 5 standards), or any other reason.

Source:
    1. Category 6 Cabling Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers - http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/technology/cat6/faq.cfm
    2. DTX Series: Category 5e Field Test Specification - (Under the "Category 5e Field Test Specification section, in the sentence "This document is available for download in Microsoft Word.", click _download_) http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/e...ries/Category_5e_Field_Test_Specification.htm
    3. DTX Series: Category 6 Field Test Specification - (Under the "Category 6 Field Test Specification section, in the sentence "This document is available for download in Microsoft Word.", click _download_) http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/e...eries/Category_6_Field_Test_Specification.htm

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Mr.Cheeks

blimey, never realised the list was that big - thanks.

12. Crito

Crito Banned

FWIW, I use an Ideal CrimpMaster and swear by it.
    http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide08-11.html

EDIT: I really have no idea whether that's a good place to buy it or not though -- I've had mine for ten years. Was just at top of my AltaVista search results.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  13. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

maplin do have a cable tracker and tone generator here
    h::p://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=46536&doy=12m4#spec