Took the 70-291 today (again!)....

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Sparky, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

...and passed!! :biggrin :biggrin

Well chuffed to get this one out of the way before xmas (that was the plan) and I am now taking a break from studying until the new year. 8)

I say Im taking a break but I will probably buy some materials for the rest of the MCPs towards the MCSE and redo my lab (move the servers from one corner of the room to the other) over the xmas period.

:biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Well done mate! I've got that one to go!

I've heard it's tough. Was it as hard as people say?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  3. Sparky

It is tough, but that makes it all the more rewarding when you pass! :biggrin

For your studies try to know your way around WSUS, I didn’t put much time into it first time round which cost me. :x

This should help you out.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...13-63E0-41CE-A646-EB36F1D3E987&displaylang=en

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Nice one Sparky.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Excellent news mate -well done sir! :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Wooohoooo!!! The beasts been slain!! Congrats mate looks like thats the MCSA!!!! 8)

So tell us how you studyed for WSUS - i know you said whats covered in the MS Press isnt enough (thats always the case) - so pass the advice on!

All the best with the Beer+ from Micromptisco! :tongue :alc :slidedrin :clap

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, mate. Well done. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Well done, indeed!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats Sparky! :beers2

11. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Well done Sparky! Persistence pays off! :thumbleft

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Excellent. All your hard work paid off. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Buy that man a beer :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats Sparky, a break before Christmas is well deserved :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Well done mate, now you can have a stress free xmas (if thats possible) :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. Sparky

Thanks for all the kind words guys, most appreciated!

If it helps I’ll list what materials and lab work I did rather than commenting too much on the exam.

Books and Resources:
    MS Press 70-291 – Mackin\Mclean
    The TCP/IP guide – Charles M. Kozierok
    Cram Session 70-291 (pdf)
    WSUS http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...13-63E0-41CE-A646-EB36F1D3E987&displaylang=en
    Technet- to obtain more details on the command line features covered in the 70-291

Lab
    2 domain controllers, one client, one JetDirect box and a Netgear firewall.

Going over the MS-Press book the following areas are covered DNS, DHCP, RRAS, TCP/IP, IPSec polices, Security Polices and maintaining\monitoring a network (WSUS).

DNS:
    Set up server 1 to as a domain controller and also setup server 2 as a domain controller to get a better idea of how zone transfers work. I also configured other primary zones on server one and configured server 2 to host the secondary zones. I also set up IIS to host internal websites and therefore needed to configure A records for this to resolve on the client PC.

DHCP:
    Configured a scope across both domain controllers and tested by switching off server 1 and made sure a lease would be issued from server 2. This also showed that server 2 could authenticate users and the DNS replication was working ok. I also configured the scope to point at server 1 and server 2 for DNS. I also configured a reservation for the Jet Direct box by using its MAC address.

RRAS:
    I’ve used this in work a few times but I tested VPN polices and also using a Radius server (server 2) to authenticate clients from the RAS server (server 1).

TCP/IP:
    Not too much lab work for this but spent loads of time trying to get my head around subnetting.

IPSec:
    Locked down port 80 inbound on server 1 (where IIS is hosted) and tested access from the client PC. I then pushed out a Respond only policy (via group policy) so a secure connection could be established. Patched in my laptop (not on the domain) and without the IPSec policy the website could not be accessed.

Security Polices:
    Copied one of the default policies and made some basic changes and then imported them into each server. Tested by analysing the server (in the db) and then applying the new settings. I then imported the template again and checked the server to make sure the template had been imported correctly (no red X against any of the values)

Monitoring and Maintaining:
    Configured services to restart automatically etc and also used network monitor to check what traffic was travelling between the two servers.

WSUS. Installed WSUS on server one and synced it with Windows update, also setup server 2 (in replica mode) as another WSUS server. Pushed updates to the client PC to get a better idea of the reporting aspects of WSUS and also how updates can be managed.

Anyways as I’m sure most people will know that there is a big jump from 70-290 to 70-291. My mistake was underestimating how many WSUS questions were in the exam first time round.

Best of luck for anyone taking the exam! :biggrin

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks very much for the de-brief! Looks like i need to start that WSUS work ASAP then! BTW how many WSUS questions were there? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  18. Sparky

There was 8 or 9 questions on WSUS, 47 questions in total for the exam. 8)

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Barkeep, a beer for that man, please !! :slidedrin

Well done, Sparky :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!