How do you revise / learn?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Leehaa, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

How do you find it easiest to prepare for an exam?

Do you just go in and hope for the best (you have a lot of experience already)? :p

Do you book the exam, vow to revise, but in the last 1-3 weeks end up doing cramming sessions and hope for the best? :biggrin

Do you book the exam well in advance, then devise a structured learning plan and stick to it still panicking that you don't know everything? :eek:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Leehaa,

I'm one of those that start out with good intentions to study for the exam before booking the test... then two months down the line I've only done a smattering of study.

So I book the test giving myself 4 weeks to study usually (worked with the 70-290-70-270) and work my ass off.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol - glad to hear there's someone normal! :biggrin Does anyone ever stick to a proper plan?

You just inspired me to book in for the next one - 70-270 for 29th Jan :eek:

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I study then when im ready i take my exam.. study so far has taken from 2 months for 270, a few weeks for the MCDST to nearly 5 months for 291 now! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hey thats my birthday! :biggrin

I like to try and do a couple of hours each night, but the reality is that it just doesn't work unless I have a deadline to work towards, so booking an exam a month or so in advance tends to be the motivator, but of course by then you need to be already familliar with the content, so there is an element of discipline to studying.

The way that tends to work for me (or did when I was actively studying something!) was to buy a book on the subject and try reading it cold, I'd often play with the product when I came across something in the book that I didn't know just to see for myself. After going through the book at my own pace I'd schedule the exam, and start really reading up, doing labs, etc as the deadline approached. With about a week to go I'd try practice exams and then just hope for the best when the time comes! :biggrin

I'm looking forward to some Vista books comming out so that I can really get my teeth back into studying again. 8)

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol - well happy Birthday in advance!!

Not tried the approach with reading the book and having pc/virtualpc at the ready for playing around with if need to look into (usually make note of it to try out later, but then forget to look at the issue) - interesting idea :thumbleft

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:eek: 2 mths for 270? Need to get a move on!!!:rolleyes:

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I get stuck in when I can but real-life always finds a way of getting in the way.

I would rather take six months to study for an exam and pass first time than heap loads of pressure on myself by booking it before I feel ready and then fail. Failing exams does nothing for your confidence.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I concur with you precisely, that is how I operate too. I have to make sure that I know the exact reason as to why I put down a particular answer, even if its wrong. It takes time, but doing it this way means the only thing I have ever failed in my life examination wise was my A-Level chemistry, whcih was pretty much on the cards from day one anyway:oops:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I study till I'm ready... then I take the exam. Might be immediately without study... might be one week... might be a month... might be a whole year. I've had all four of those experiences.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!