A+ OS Exam Backup Types

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am preparing for the A+ OS exam. Could someone explain to me a little bit better the backup types. The Mike Meyers book makes this statement.
    Just make sure you understand how each backup type works and the benefits of each method.

From reading the book I got a idea of the backup types but I still dont understand completely. Could some give more information that could help me understand how each backup type works and the benfits of each method.

Thanks

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ok!

Backup to copy a file, every type of windows OS out there has a backup program to make copies/backups of files.

It is the placed somewhere safe incase there is a problem and lets face it there's always a problem with Windows:p

there are 4 types of backups in this program.

But first let's explain what it does:-

Backup programs are used to copy and store files in a safe place. They use archive technology to determine if the file has been changed since the last backup. After all why would you back up the same file if there were no addition to it??

The 4 Types:-

Copy backups selected files with the archived bit turn on.

full backups everything but doesn't check to see if this files/folder is different from the last backup

Incremental only backups files changed since the last backup. Therefore if some of the files in a folder have not been changed and some have. It selects the ones that have changed. Which is a faster backup than full backup.

differential can perform full backup or partial backup

Hope this helps:biggrin

WIP: Comptia N+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Excuse me if I refine these a bit as the above isn't quite exact enough!

Incremental Back up the files that have change since the last backup of any type.
    Differential Back up files that have changed *since the last full backup*.

Assume that you do a full backup every Sunday.

Then a daily Incremental tape for a given day will contain just the files changed since yesterday. But the daily Differential tape will contain the files that changed since Sunday.

Why the difference? Incremental tape sets will be smaller than the differential tape sets, as clearly the differential size will increase daily until the next full backup.

But if you need to restore to a given date then you only need to restore the previous full, and the appropriate differential. If you had been using Incremental then you would need each daily tape since the full.

As always - a trade-off.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Just to add to the Differential Backup, some business such as acountants or data input use the Differential Backup system.

It's spread over the working weak with the first day having a full backup and the another file for all the other days of the week.

Ouch!

I beginning to get a headache:biggrin

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Harry for your valued input8) that's what I was trying to say but obvious my explanation is not clear enough:blink