Clean install driver problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi,
    I just done a clean install for a mates pc, its an emachine 3210. I was missing 3 drivers wich were NIC, graphics and sound. I downloaded all three and installed, but for some reason i cant get the sound one to work. It installs but says it hasnt in device manager. The mobo is an intel 845gvsr and i got the drivers from intels site. I tried installing with windows update aswell but it couldnt do it. Has anyone got any ideas on what to try? Oh forgot to add, the thing missing thing in drivers is multimedia audio controller everything else is present. Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Raffaz,

Questions:
    1. You mention the computer is an "eMachine 3210" and then you mention the "The mobo is an intel 845GVSR." Is the computer actually an "eMachine 3210" or a eMachine 3210 CASE with an INTEL 845GVSR motherboard inside it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Raffaz

its a UK machine so maybe the spec is slightly different, but i can confirm the board as ive opened the case and had a look

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It should have come with a CD with the drivers. I suspect that the lack of sound indicates that you didn't use that disk.

If you don't have that CD then the best place for drivers would be the eMachine site, as the motherboard may not be quite 'standard'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Raffaz,

So what you're saying is that it's an eMachine CASE with an Intel motherboard inside?

6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Hi Raffaz

When you have tried other drivers have you first uninstalled any previous tries? If not then go to the device manager and uninstall any sound device/controller you can see. Also remove any sound software which may have been part of the previous install. After doing this...give it a go again...but get the driver from the Mobo site if you are not sure it is a thoroughbred eMachine pc.

EDIT:
    One thing I forgot to mention - if in future you are trying to find drivers in a hurry and you do not want to go searching...you can use this bit a great software (here) its called Driver Genius...it searches your pc for hardware and then gives you a list of the needed drivers. You do get a trial version but for the cost (£16) you can not go wrong...saved me loads of time in the past!!!

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had this issue when installing drivers for my laptop, the way I did it was a extracet the exe with winrar, opened up device manager selected the sound device clicked update driver, then pointed to the ini file of the drivers that I downloaded and it detected fine.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you not get a restore disc with the PC? Emachines have a restore disc with OS\drivers and all the pre-installed software. This would save you loads of time! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sparky,

For this situation, it seems like an eMachine case with an Intel motherboard inside. Therefore, a restore CD from eMachine may be irrelevant because the restore CD's drivers would be for the components found on the eMachine motherboard and not the Intel motherboard.

10. Raffaz

Yeah i got it but it puts loads of e machines crap on, so we done a fresh install, and ya dont get seperate disc with the drivers on.

11. Raffaz

been doing some checking and there are 3 variations of the board all with different audio, so im gonna get each one and give it a go il let ya know how it goes

12. Sparky

What happens if you browse the CD? There may be a seperate folders for the drivers so you dont have to install the eMachines software.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

RH, Dell sell PCs with Intel motherboards so why can't emachines?:blink

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Raffaz

All sorted, got them from the realtek site. Had the first board variation

15. Sparky

Cool, glad all is sorted now 8)

16. Raffaz

Cheers man