Studying

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 31, 2006.

?

How Many Hours Do You Study Per Week?

1. <less than 1 hour

2.2%
  2. Between 1 and 2 hours

20.0%
  3. Between 2 and 4 hours

24.4%
  4. Between 4 and 5 hours

13.3%
  5. Between 5 and 8 hours

13.3%
  6. Over 8 Hours

26.7%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hmmm, hopefully most of us are studying for an exam of somesort (whether IT related or not)...

What is your study routine, how many hours per week do you put in? What resources are you using?

Hopefully, we can build this thread up, so the newbies can get a picture of the different techniques used....

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Im studying for A+.

During the week days, i generally read my book for like 30 - 45 mins every day, its hard for me to sit at home, too many distractions like computers, gaming, family, i cant really studing at work either, people always wanting to know what your studing, everything you open the book, so what do i do?

I either go to the park (if the suns out, always talent around) or to the reserviour...

During the weekend, i generally try and do up to 3-4 hours...

Things get in the way, i lose my motivation, rather go out with the lads, but one thing for sure, i have to keep it up, routine does get boring, so try reading when i wake up, but that for me is tooo hard, so i'll read before i go to bed (then no one at home bothers me)

What i am using to help with my studys are;

MM Interactive CDs
    MM AIO A+ Book (almost finished)
    Cramsession
    Google
    and
    CF.

How bout you?

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I study at work during my lunch hour... if i dont need to go out for lunch (usually wasting my money on things i dont need!) i sit at my desk and read a PDF copy of the study guide on my PC / Laptop.

If i have a book i take it somewhere quiet to read. It's amazing how much you can get done with 4 or 5 hours a week.

I find it helps to set goals such as 2 chapters per week, within 6 weeks you've finished the book, obviously longer if you make notes etc, which i find really useful.

I try and create some kind of study document. Everytime i read a chapter and i see a key fact or a statement that i think could be turned into a question i right it down. I might end up with up to 10 pages of A4 coverd in facts, but the week before the exam i use this as my key study aid. Also practice questions are higly important too.

I find it hard to get motivated for studying at home and the weekends it never seems to happen, but if i fall behind my goals i use some time at home to catch up.

My 2 cents! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I study at least 8 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. Though IT only occupies a small amount of those hours.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well done Cheek! Excellent thread

What is your study routine

I have MM all in one books I use this for reference and the Passport book for the testing my knowledge as well as quick refernce when I have some spare time or when I have a problem with PC. Otherwise I come to CF!

I have a study skills book that show how to revise and motivataion ideas. I think this is more importatnt than committing yourself to long hours of study.

Small steps is the key!

how many hours per week do you put in?

Usually 2 - 4 hours, depends what's on!

Before I got my lucky break working as a PC technician. I study 1 hour theory followed by 1 hour practical using the MM lab books. You can't learn everything by theory!

Then I would do 1/2 hour revision and writing my notes to a concise note form, before moving onto the next chapter.

Now I am so busy in the week I am too tired to do study, my eyes are dry and feel burned out. So I study on the weekend and read MM passport in my lunch break!

8 hardware engineers in our department and 2600 users - as you can see the numbers don't add up and the IT dept is always busy!

What resources are you using?

MM - Passport A+
    MM - All in 1 A+
    MM - Hardware & software Lab Manuals
    Transcender (demo)
    Learnkey

CF A+ forum and quiz of the day!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If I’m having a busy week at work then I struggle to get much done in the evening. Generally I fire up the laptop and read the .pdf of whatever study guide I’m using or read the book while watching TV with the wife. In some cases I’ll sneak into the office and fire up a server and do some practical work. 8)

Sometimes it depends what exam I’m studying for. While I was studying for the 70-290 I was making notes while reading the MS Press book but I had also setup a test server so I have that running through Remote Desktop and took screenshots for my notes.

Finally in the run up to the exam (the week before) I will generally do more studying and even study all weekend just to make sure I’ve covered everything! Its worth putting in the extra time just to make sure you get a pass! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I'm studying for the N+ at the mo.

My training provider (scheidegger) supplies me with the bulk of the material.

I also have Groths N+ book as i think its a good idea to have an alternative reference if in doubt about anything as another perspective seems to help me.

No strict rules to a timetable but i do try to squeeze 8-10 hours in a week even if its a little here and a little there or i might manage that in a weekend. Did i spell squeeze correctly?!!

I also go into the IT department in the hospital where i work to volunteer as not only does it give experience, i sheds a lot of light on the theory i cover, they're even going to lend me cisco equipment when i start my CCNA!!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I dont study at work at all, I mean I do have 1 hour for lunch, but after the first half of the day, I cant seem to concentrate on studying, I just want to go outside and relax for 15 minutes or so. Anways for my self I mostly study at home, though not everyday sometimes 1-3 days a week if not less. Usually I would get this motivation to study so I start for 1-2 days and then the motivation just goes away, and then it comes back again and so on. I do find that I get more studying done during the week as apose to weekends, I am always out weekends with friends, ladies, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I guess I need to change my answer from less then 1 hour to over 8 hours....and that probably should be per day, and not per week. Lemme explain.

Where I work, I stay logged into Cisco routers all day, from 1720's, 2400's and 2600's at our customer locations to our backbone network of 7200's. Therefore when I get home every day I do not feel like even looking at a CCNA book. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

For me I must give my weekly time table to fully appreciate my fecking study hours

Monday up 6(ish) work by 7(ish) read or sleep on two 15 minute breaks and one half hpur lunch break

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  11. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

hate it when that happens...

work till 3(ish) then go to starbucks and cram some study in after looking at the comics in Borders
    Study for about 40 minutes then go to Singing lesson by 5 and then drive to a Capoeira lesson by 6:30 till 8 and then a pint! Home and low rep bulk weights

Tuesday same work and study or sleep breaks (I need my naps) home by 4, cram some study, make carb rich tea, 20 minutes singing practice then out at 6:15 for capoeira at 7, post capoeira pub, home and then sume low rep bulk weights if I have the energy. Say I get an hour done

Wednesday... maybe get an hour or more done but spend a lot of time recharging and stuff on wednesday and try to get out of work early, also no exercise except pull ups. Normaly 20 minutes singing but don't force myselg

Thursday... Work normal, home, carb tea, singing and then some study then capoeira at

Friday... party down.... Take away food, X box at my mates, lots of guiness and West Wing DVD's till 4 am might study if I was lax through the week

Saturday... wake at some unusual time, drink lots of coffee, iron, hover, Capoeira lesson at 2 but have to leave at 1 cos of the distance, back by 6 after a pint and then study, internet, I normaly get an hour or 2 done and then realx with the West Wing and a copious amount of guiness.

Sunday.... morning work out (if I can be bothered) slouch abut in dressing gown and no unders, Sunday dinner with parents, to my mates.. might get back and do an hour. Frantic Singing training to get ready for Monday and some guinness but not to much :P

None of this is set in stone, I been known to get through 100 pages a week or 30 depending on my mood and energy levels

None of this is set in

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  12. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

This was a little hard to say exactly how much time I spend studying. It seems like there is something new every week for me to learn, whether I'm backing up the iSeries guy and learning his stuff while he's on vacation, learning AIX so that I can help with our Tivoli backups, or picking up the work from a guy we let go, and building a new Trend Micro server. This is in addition to the studying that I do when I get home... after doing my homework for college classes. I wish there were more hours in the day so that I could actually focus on getting one thing accomplished, rather than having 25 irons in the fire.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am awaiting to take the exams for my A+, I havent read any of the books for about a month now as I had gone though the AIO exam guide twice and Trips book twice.

I read each book for half an hour a day each, so a total study time of one hour a day.

When I finally get the exams booked I will go over the points I have highlighted in the AIO exam guide then I will do some of the things in Trips book, I also have the preplogic quick study guide which I will look over on the day of the exams, as I intend to do both on the same day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Wow! Blast from the past! :ohmy

My answer in the polls still remains the same though! :biggrin

15. Sequeler

Sequeler Bit Poster

Congratulations, @Mr.Cheeks!

For myself I am a primary school student, so this means that the IT comes after school lessons. In case I study about 2-4 hours per week. Even this changes many time, so if I have exams I study at least 1-2 hours, if I have a great free time I study about 6 hours per week.

I am studing myself at home before course ( home practical knowledge ) A+ and networking for CCNA.

The soruce what I look a lot are:

Google
    My dictionary English - Albanian
    My notebook ( this tells that I write important things there )
    Finally forums like CF ( were I can find more information about materials )

Thanks to all CF staff.

WIP: CCNA