Belkin Wireless PCI card - Losing connection (Possible Solution)

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by ChrisH, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

I've been having trouble with my Belkin 54g card (model F5D7000UK) losing its connection to the Belkin router downstairs for no apparent reason every half hour or so. A search on Google shows that this appears to be a common problem although some people have no problems at all.

After searching for a solution I finally found a review for the card where an anonymous person has posted a review stating that the card is supplied with a 'bad' driver and advises that you should download Ralink drivers (the manufacturer of the chipset).

I have downloaded RT61+RT2500 from http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and manually installed the Ralink RT2500 Wireless Lan Card driver (ie chose from list of manufacturers and drivers). So far no problems at all. Signal is staying stable at over 80% and I even detect 2 more wireless networks nearby.

I'm posting this in case anyone searches these forums looking for the same advise I needed to find. May also help with other connection problems.

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks for posting Chris. A good useful tip there for anyone using the belkin card. 8)

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I have torn out my hair over this card, as I had it in one machine for around 3 months and never once had any period of network stability. I used the same drive that comes out the box (plus another I downloaded from Belkin) - both the same. I was connecting to my Netgear router, but as all other wireless connections were good, I reckoned it wasn't the router.

The machine that was using that card is now back wired again, but I will download the driver all the same - for future peace of mind :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

No problem.

I should clarify that after running the setup program that I got from that link I had to update driver manually using Device Manager and choose from a list of manufacturers. The Ralink category contains quite a few drivers, it is the driver named 'Ralink RT2500 Wireless Lan Card' that I have installed.

The setup program also installs the Ralink wireless utility. I have disabled this from startup and use the Windows config instead, you lose a few nice touches like a signal noise meter but I find it easier to maintain on a multi user computer where everyone has a limited account.

Since the original post I haven't lost connection once so I think its a success.

WIP: A+