I am no longer associated with TechExams.co.uk

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I am publicly posting here that I will no longer be associated with TechExams.co.uk. as I do not know whether my farewell post there will be deleted or not, and I want it publicly known that I have severed all association with that site and its owner.

Here is my farewell post to TechExams:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

jeez, that was fast. i'm really sorry to hear that, freddy, because the site looked promising. i won't prod you for names, because it's none of our business, but how did you find out? i assume it's because you noticed the same source ip address, but then i wonder, how stupid could that person be?

anyway, so no more techexams. will you be returning to certforums? please do know that you're more than welcome back here. most of us miss your sound technical advice and incisive posts. differences can be worked out, and problems can be discussed.

if you won't be returning here, then i can respect that. please do let us know where you'll be residing.

3. ffreeloader

This was an issue with the owner of the site. He asked me about the practice of making fake users to create the look of traffic. I told him I would not be a part of something deceptive like that. He didn't tell me he had already started doing it, nor did he tell me he was continuing to post under his various psuedonyms. He knew what I thought of it, and did it anyway.

I found it because I was suspicious of his behavior, and had seen multiple posters that all had identical typo's, grammatical, and punctuation errors. So, I did a search for the registration IP address of one of the user names I suspected as being a fake and it showed up as completely blank. No IP address at all. So, I tried a another one and up popped 14 users with the same registration IP address. I recognized his IP address, searched by his IP address, and his user name was added to the list. All I can prove is the 15 or so that have his IP address, but a normal user isn't going to come up with a blank registration IP address either. I didn't bother to search by blank IP address but there was at least one more that had his same typing and spelling habits.

I will not be a "partner" to someone who cannot be honest and above board with me. I told him I'd help him as he really needed help, but I'm not going to help him when he does this kind of stuff.

This wasn't the first trust related issue either. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back.... And this guy just couldn't figure out why I was cautious about making long term committments and partnerships when there is no way to verify the truth of the other person's statements. :rolleyes: I guess what he didn't realize was that there are always ways of researching character issues.... :(

I think he's a young guy, or at least he represents himself as such, so maybe he'll learn. I hope so.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm sorry to hear about that Freddy, but as d said, you're always welcome back at CF! :biggrin

5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I respect your sense of ethics Freddy, hope you come back to us for good.:thumbleft

I've never visited TechExams, I don't know about anyone else, but I've had a couple of pm's asking me to "help out" over there, I've just never got round to checking it out. Don't think I'll bother now.

Nice to see you again Freddy

Baba, aka Jakamoko, aka SimonV, aka SimonGrahamUK...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, i'm no stranger to a certain degree of online deception, and i guess it comes with the territory that is the internet, but wow, this is certainly taking it to a whole different level. this is indeed bad. i do see why you would not want to be (and remain) associated with that.

and what baba (or whatever his name is) says disturbs me as well. it sounds like this guy is recruiting, trying to steal away good people, as it were. how did you come associated with him in the first place, freddy? i don't recognize his handle from any other forum. then again, if deception is his mode of operation, then it could be anybody.

anyway, i hope you decide to stick around. although with your knowledge and reputation, you could easily start your own site.

7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Good for you for stciking to your guns like that, i know people who wuld of turned a blind eye. Id say on a personal not that you should stay here at CF, you have to admit the feeling in this forum is pretty good, and with all your recommendations from the likes of d-faktor (who would miss you deeply) you would be contributing to the likes of me who are just starting out etc.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i drink to that :slidedrin

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Glad to have you back Fred :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ohh this is where you have been hiding CM :ohmy

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i think this thread has gone out of topic... this is certforums.co.uk and not TE i think lets keep both forums within each other.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

The topic of the thread is Techexams, and the discussion has been related to Techexams and Freddy, so how has it gone out of topic? :blink The only person defaming Techexams in any way is one of their own admins so what's the problem Zimbo? Anyway, the last three or four posts have been of the "Welcome back Freddy" type.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good to see you again freddy. :D

I'm really sorry to see that it didn't work out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u know for some weird reason that site sounds familiar...I am sure I was emailed by them about 2yrs ago...wanting me to join them...I did but then I never went back...I maybe talking about the wrong place...but so sorry to hear that Freddy mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It would appear offside has been fishing CF members for some time with differnet websites and URLs but he's been siging up using other names such as the member called magic.

Anyway, I'm not around as much as I used to be and I was supprised that FF wasnt around on CF anymore. Your more than welcome here Freddy and hope to see you again soon. Good luck to TE also I know first hand the time and energy needed to keep things running.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no no problems! I just hope freddy comes back here! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well Said Baba!

Sorry to see Freddy leave TE, he will be sorely missed :cry:

Monkey

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

When you say here do you mean CF or TE?

Because as far as I can see he never really left CF just took a vacation 8)

19. ffreeloader

I was asked to join, as a user, by Zimbo, aka linuxgeek, whom I help a lot with Linux issues in his learning curve. I went and took a look at the site, thought about it a little, and then decided to join. I was then immediately approached and asked if I would just take over the site completely. I asked why he wanted to give a total stranger his site and it took a lot of prying before he would give an answer that I could even accept as plausibly honest. The rest were side steps and evasions. He wouldn't even tell me by what names he was known in the online community. I had to figure that out myself.

Yeah, I know. I should never have consented to help when he wouldn't be honest in the first place, but I really felt sorry for him. He was in desparate need of help. It's caveat emptor, and I knew it, but it still really bothers me that he couldn't be honest even when he was getting something for nothing....

20. ffreeloader

Thanks for all the kind words guys, but I left here because I create a distraction.

I posted here just to make sure the record was set straight at TE. I had no clue as to whether my farewell post there would be stay or not, and as the owner there has not shown himself to be trustworthy in my relationship with him, I wanted to make sure my name was not used in further connection with the promotion of that site.