NETBIOS over TCP/IP?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Just a quick query, what is the effect of turning off the NETBIOS over TCP/IP service in Windows XP.... in both domain and standalone environments??

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, to answer that best, try it!

That aside, don't expect network neighbourhood to work, don't expect printer sharing to work, don't expect much to work really!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

good question... i think then pre-2000 clients wont be able to 'pick out' the post-2000 machines using name resolution. not sure though im just trying to figure it out... :biggrin guys?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

No, any machine that uses Netbios name resolution that has netbios removed will be fubar. That includes 2000 and xp. And netbios has its hooks in many places!

first google link on disabling netbios...
    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_netbios_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh so its not just for backward compatability? :blink

7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

noooo! Still integral in many ways!

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh well you learn something new everyday! :biggrin

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are situations where turning this off is beneficial.

One of my boxes at work is a WinXP Pro box with two ethernet cards. One is attached to the main local company network, the other to a Lucent P50 ISDN router/dialer. This latter is used for special access to some billing info with a certain major UK telecoms provider.

As setup 'automaticaly' by XP the P50 had a nasty tendency to dial out for apparantly no reason. Removing the NetBIOS layer from that connection fixed this nicely. Also removing the default route and adding a specific route completed the fix.

Now I can leave the kit on 24/7 and it only dials when I tell it to.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My understanding is that Microsoft are trying to move away from NETBIOS, hence the emphasis is now on DNS rather than WINS for name resolution and Active Directory for publishing resources (printers / shares etc).

From d's white paper link..

The same can be said for W2K Pro and server products.

So, it is not the OS that needs it anymore, just that many applications still use it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

yup, applications like AD !

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Care to elaborate Clyde?

And why has my hair and Mepis logo gone orange? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

14. Jellyman_4eva

Thanks all for the replies..

The main reason I asked is that it seems to be one of those services which is always there but shrouded in mystery as to what its actual purpose is..!!

I now know for example that, the moment you do this, the computer browser service is screwed due to the fact it uses NETBIOS, as is printer/folder sharing...

And also going to machines with \\computer\share also fails...!!

I was just wondering what the replications of this action are on a larger scale.. just reading the links people have sent! Thanks!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
  15. Jellyman_4eva

Well, I have been playing around with this and am getting more confused!!!

What is the difference between the NETBIOS options under the WINS tab of your network adapter,s IP TCP/IP binding, and the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service?

Where I am at work they have the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service running (Otherwise you cant do the \\computername thing) but they have disabled the NETBIOS options under the WINS tab????? What do these things seperately do, and how can one work without the other!!

The other new question I have is regarding DNS... in one place where I was before there was a domain called company.local.. the dns was called company.local, and all subsequent machines were called something.company.local...

Where I am now, they have lots of different primary suffix's in place for each department so its something.hr.company.local etc??!! What do these do and how do they work with the DNS??

Also (Sorry there are a lot of questions today) they have UNIX servers which are the authoritative dns servers for the domain, yet they also have server 2003 based ones as well, but these do not seem to do anything, yet they do not seem to have a link to the UNIX ones in them anywhere?! (Like a forwarder or something)... very confused at the mo

16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, the netbios helper service simply starts netbios on the PC.
    The netbios options in TCP/IP specifically enable or disable netbios over TCP/IP. Remember netbios is higher up the protocol stack and netbios messages can be carried using protocols other then tcp/ip - eg nwlink or netbeui. It's therefore possible to have netbios enabled in general, but disabled for a particular protocol.

[/quote]
    Where I am at work they have the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service running (Otherwise you cant do the \\computername thing) but they have disabled the NETBIOS options under the WINS tab????? What do these things seperately do, and how can one work without the other!!
    [/quote]
    are you sure its simply not taking netbios settings from DHCP?

I'll leave the dns questions for now... got stuff to do...