Banning IP address

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

So how can you ban someone by IP address... i become a pain in the @$$ here at CF, and SimonV disables my account and bans my IP... But when my ISP changes my IP address, can i re-register under a diff email? and start again? or can this not be done?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Impossible to ban someone by IP address really because as you said they can change it or email address etc etc. When i had a IP ban thing on my site i stored a cookie as well on there system to say there banned (yes you can delete a cookie, but if its an idiot they want know how to).

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's easy, we just ban your ISP.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

And all the other users on hes ISP (if any) ;)

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

what about open proxies? they change daily.

6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

The answer is that simple... there is no way to ban someone, it's just the fact that they can have a lot of identities on the Internet, you can never get a fix on them......

Even if you use sophisticated technology such as address/telephone/mobile/SMS activation, they can still change those stuffs and start over again...

What about fingerprint logons? well....I can ask my girlfriend to borrow me her finger then...

lol.... :cry:

Oh......gosh......what about DNA authenication?? certainly unique....

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  7. Mr.Cheeks

but can you manually force an update of change of ip? accordinging to dyndns my ip has been the same for 43 days so far, perhaps i should ping the feck out of it so my ISP changes it for me... unless there is another easy way? anyone?

8. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Using a proxy would work or call your ISP and ask them to change your IP.

Having a dynamic IP rocks. ;)

If you do have a dynamic IP then turn off your router (if have one or server whatever) and turn it back on. It'll get a new IP. :)

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As stated before CM, IP addys change all of the time, so we tend to ban the user account. To join forums such as this you do need an active email account, but as we all know these can be spoofed and annonymous.

When members have been on the forum for a while, you do get a "feel" for how they post and the language they choose and if they are banned a mod will know fairly quickly if they are a banned member of not. Spammers tend to be one hit wonders and they get banned straight away.

FYI you can ban a range of IP addys, say from certain countries. But banning is something that is not done lightly and is a last resort in most cases (unless your a spammer CM :x :banned)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Are you feeling guilty about something??

Some ISPs update their dynamic ip range daily and some just don't do it at all even though your ip address is dynamic.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Mr.Cheeks

me a spammer? :cry:

12. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

about anonymous e-mail accounts.....

I use to be at a forum which requires me to enter the e-mail address which my ISP provides me, and that any other free ones, such as Yahoo or gmail.....will not be allowed to use for registration or profile updating.

this is not a complete solution as people can change ISPs / or borrow an e-mail address from someone, but it slows them down.

Conclusion.....banning someone is impossible unless they are physically locked out and kept away from PCs with Internet.... like in a prison.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

And even then, a pack of ciggies* might get them access!

*or being very friendly with a prison guard *wink* :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

After a while you get used to a member's posting style, so if they are banned and do re-register you can always suss them out because they'll always slip into their old style of posting. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Mr.Cheeks

guys, i was not banned from a forum... :thumbleft i was reading on the t&c's and just wanted to know...

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Some ISP's leave dynamics for dial up and statics for DSL customers on a *premium* account with no restrictions...
    Then again, i know someone who should be on a dynamic, but he downloads so much he has a static. His ISP must be watching him :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. AJ

So what's with the sudden interest with T & C's CM? You should have read them when you joined like the rest of us did :eek:

18. Mr.Cheeks

there isn't any, i haven't even done an introduction thread, i like doing things differently than most...

edit: I think i should kick you in the nuts

19. AJ

You didn't introduce yourself??

Who are you and why are you here ???? :blink

20. Mr.Cheeks

No i never.

I am The CheekMaster and am here replyng to your post.

btw: so what does release and renew the ip do?