Identify CPU types

Discussion in 'A+' started by JayUK20, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JayUK20

JayUK20 New Member

Dose aanyone know what type of questions are in the Identify CPU types section? Also what kind of questions are ased about dual/triple/quad core processors?

Certifications: None yet :(
    WIP: CompTIA A+ then N+ & MCDST
  2. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

I am inclined to think that you want to know what to expect on the test so you can prepare for the exam. While i do not think that this is the right way to go about it i can tell you that i only prepared for socket types and family types of CPU's. I highly doubt that i am expected to learn what processor has this and that cache as most of that tech is, almost, totally obsolete.

As long as you know what the cache is and where it can be found, e.g. on die or not and what kind is on die and is not, then i think you will be ok.

Here is a list of things that i know, am learning, and need to know to pass the test. This list is not complete but can be used as a reference to help you prepare.

</snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  3. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

uh...some of that does not apply since it is meant for the old test but it could help you understand computers in general.....sorry

another edit....this is for the 2006 A+ as well..or is meant to be even though there is stuff that i highly doubt we are going to be askes such as the MCA bus as that last paragraph suggest. I grabbed all the info i could to help me prepare and since i know the diff between old and newer technology i can pass on certain things automatically

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you were to know what you would be asked then that would be cheating.

Just make sure you understand the differences in terms of L2 cache and what package size CPUs use.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But where did you copy and paste it from? I know you mean well, but it could be considered copyright infringement... unless you created it all yourself. It looks like a document currently hosted on ProProfs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

I do believe i got it from that site micheal. i have grabbed everything and anything regarding questions to help me prepare. This was copied from a post by a user of said site and not anything official that the site wrote. I am no expert on copyright but i am inclined to think that i am not breaking any copyright laws by reposting something somebody put in the public domain as this was also accessible via not logging in. There were no references or links attached pointing me to the source of said questions. Correct me if i am wrong and have said material removed if deemed to be "dubious".My apologies if so....only trying to help

7. BosonMichael

What you should do is to link to the site that contains the original information. Then no copyrights are violated.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

Are you suggesting i violated copyrights?

9. BosonMichael

I can't make that call, because I'm not the creator of the document. Whoever created the document grants whatever rights to his/her Intellectual Property as he/she wants to provide.

To avoid violating copyrights, link to the original document, or create your own unique document (an original one, not a derivative document using the original as a guide). It's as simple as that.

I used to deal with copyright infringement cases in a previous job. :)

10. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

http://www.proprofs.com/privacy.shtml

I believe i am in a grey area when it comes to copyright claims about my post above. While proprofs claims the right to reproduce, for all eternity, any material submitted by any users, the original poster would have to claim copyright on said post that i copied for me to have infringed on his rights. Whether the original poster placed a copyright or not, i do not know and that is where it gets grey but copyrighted material is usually displayed as such, but not necessarily, hence the grey area.

Posting any material on that site the original owner is in effect transferring the rights to reproduce, alter, and dissect in any way, shape, or form as propofs sees fit and transfers a license to do just that.

Can a site claim copyright on material submitted by users that is not originally copyrighted? This is getting more complicated the deeper it gets. I dont post any PM's since i have been through that one even though offensive material needed to be exposed and no mod was willing to take care of it. So i did learn not to do that one. Just ignore them.

But i will heed your advice and thank you for it as i am now getting involved in the field and this could get messy if i choose to continue doing that.

cheers

Edit...

Besides...its easier just linking to it :)

nother edit....

Gonna let it die now since we have strayed way off topic

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  11. BosonMichael

ProProfs may say they have the "right to reproduce", but YOU don't have that same right to reproduce.

Exactly right. If they don't say anything, you can get away with it; they choose to not enforce their copyright.

You don't PLACE a copyright. It is a right you automatically have when you create something. You can pursue - or not pursue - any infringement on the IP you create.

That is incorrect. I'd shred any forum that attempted to sell what I've written. :dry

So why not be safe any err on the side of caution? Don't repost material that isn't stuff you originally created.

Not trying to come down hard on you... just want to inform you on what IS protected by copyright. After you've got the information, you can choose to do whatever you like - that's your decision to make. :)

If you're serious, you can edit your post above by removing the content and pointing the user to the ProProfs post. ;)

Glad to be of assistance.

12. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=359610#post359610

That is the continuation of the thread, copyright round two :), as i am now hijacking this and do not want to do that in all fairness.

Edit option is now disabled on that post so i cannot change anything anymore. I believe the edit option is only available for a specific amount of time and when it runs out you are stuck with what you posted. I was going to change it to reflect my new view on this matter but cant so this is one for the mods if they feel like it.

13. BosonMichael

A PM to any of the mods would get that fixed for you... :)