Boson Netsim - HELP!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by iRock, Jan 29, 2008.

1. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Yup, they do.

It really seems strange to me.

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Since I don't work with the NetSim team (I do the ExSim content), the best I can recommend is for you to log on to your account on the Boson.com Web site and fill out a trouble ticket.

Let me know if you do not receive a quick reply, and I'll sound some alarms for you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Oh yeah, its only polite to come back and let you know that I did a repair install and that fixed my problems!

Thanks for all the help guys I really do Appreciate it!

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  4. Majorbacon

Majorbacon New Member

It took me absolutely FOREVER but I figured out how to get Netsim to use Vista's telnet. Here's my saga. If there is a shorter way to get this to work, let me know.

(1) Install the Telnet Client (BE SURE YOU DON'T INSTALL THE TELNET SERVER!!! - this will intercept local telnet packets and prevent Netsim from working) This is done by: Control Panel > Programs and features > Turn Windows features on > Telnet

(2) Now it should work. But if you try and tell Boson Netsim to use the telnet client, it can't find it, even with the explicit path to c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe. Bummer. I don't know why. You can see the file as windows\system32\telnet.exe in windows explorer or cmd.exe. But you can't in the Boson Netsim program. So here's the trick: it's time to make a hard link. This is like a super-shortcut where a program literally exists in two places on the file system. Create a folder at the root of C: named "telnet". Open the command prompt as an admin (right click and choose "Run as administrator", and enter the following command: fsutil hardlink create c:\telnet\telnet.exe c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe

(3) Exit the command prompt and open Netsim. In Netsim, go to Tools, Change default telnet. Click Find my file, and select telnet.exe from the c:\telnet folder.

Now it should work! This probably would work similarly in Windows 7.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thanks! I'll pass this along to the Netsim team... I'm not sure if they know about the problem...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. MysterioMP

MysterioMP New Member

Your SIR are the F'en MAN:biggrin

After hours of trying to figure this out it was your post that WORKED! I'm running Win7 64 and it works perfiect!

THANK YOU!!!!:biggrin:biggrin

7. budjar

budjar New Member

i had to copy telnet.exe from system32 and paste into said folder. the fsutil command said it worked okay, boson still didn't like it for me. tried messing with security, then just had brainwave (maybe not) but to take ownership and paste to folder, then boson found it and hey presto telnetting like a guddun... cheers.