Hey i need help

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ingramator, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Hey, basically my name is Rhys and i have recently graduated from University.
    Basically what i am now looking into is getting a MCSE certification.
    I just had a man from computrain just call me, but im not to sure i want to follow thorugh with that.

Are any of you guys able to help me out with this, shall i go for it? or is self study better?

If so where can i learn more about self study for this topic.

Thanks

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

*Don't say these forums, don't say these forums, don't say these forums.*

...These forums?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

lol yea sorry, i know that was stupid, but will this forum allow me t learn it, what i meant was, in order to get books or anything.

Have you been able to self learn through this forum?

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The forum is broken down into various sections. At the top of each section is a stickied thread which should contain all of the information you require (e.g. suggested learning material, links etc).

And to answer your question, yes. All of my Microsoft certs have been gained through self-study, like a lot of users on this forum.

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Yes, and i am not the only one. There is a wealth of experience around here and can be pretty much assured that whatever you are thinking of doing, somebody here has been there, done that and gained the experience.

Are you working in IT at the moment?

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  6. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

No not at the moment, you see im working in british gas so working on databases, but i just done my degree and i looked at jobs and they need a mcse i would like to do the mcsa aswell, how long you think it will take for me to do.

I got computrain knocking at my door saying come do it with us, takes 6-8 months.

Problem with me is as stupid as this sounds i need a kick up my backside to keep me learning, i feel something online will help me out coz i need 2 do it.

But i thought i want this so why cant i do it myself and i will stick 2 my own timescales. and say 2 myself in 6 months time i wont this done etc

So i will need all the help possible

7. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

OK. First thing is that an MCSE without relevant experience is generally useless. Microsoft states:-

MCSE candidate profile

An MCSE candidate should have one to two years of experience in designing, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting network systems

Basically, the MCSE is a certification that should be used in conjunction with experience. Having the cert without the experience can actually harm rather than hinder you (dont have too much time to go into the explanation right now, but search around on these forums).

As for computrain, again, have a look on these forums and that will probably make your mind up. My personal feeling is that self study is far better (for me).

Dave

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not going to double post, you can see my answer here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Thank you all for your replies, as i say im new to this.

I do apologise for my dullness!!:oops:

I am now going to start by doing my A+ and network+ would this be the best route for myself now?

10. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Thank you very much for your help, i will be using self study as i feel this is a better option

11. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

No worries. It's easy to be misled by people that want your money. The plus point of these forums is that (although payments would, i'm sure, in many cases, be gratefully received!), advise and time is given for free and the only payment is the knowledge that you have maybe helped someone.

Also, you arent just getting one opion, but lots, so that you can draw your own view.

Dave

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you need a periodic kick up your backside, you'll find my rates (see avatar) to be quite affordable. Price payable per instance. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

:hahaha thats fair enough i will keep in touch with you!

14. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

lol - like this!

15. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

thanks for all your help, but just 1 last question lol

should i do them all seperate, i want to do A+ and network+ first, so shall i do a+ them move on to network+ etc

16. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

I never actually sat my A+ or N+ exams but did go on some courses through work. From this experience i would say that the A+ "sets the scene" for the N+ so one after the other seems appropriate. This also seems to be how others approach it.

On the flipside, i often find it useful to have a book with a little more depth handy as sometimes concepts are easier to understand when you get the "full picture"

**Disclaimer - my experience in this area is quite limited and is taken from some time ago - i may well be corrected on the above information**

17. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

lol i will take note of the disclaimer, thanks for the advice, basically im going to get MM all in one book and have a good read of it, then hopefully sit the exams :D

18. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

One more thing (i know, its all confusing isnt it?) is that whatever you are studying, make sure that you read from a variety of sources. This doesnt have to be just from textbooks, but anywhere you can gain information on the subject. Not sure whether they do them for A+, but i find the Exam Cram series of books quite useful in the leadup to an exam. Also consider investing in some practise questions.

Dave

19. Ingramator

Ingramator Bit Poster

Ok thank you very much for all your help, your right!, it is very confusing lol
    What i will do is look to see if i can find an exam cram book for it!

Well i shall let you know when the exams have been booked........ also be back when i need a little help if thats ok

thanks

20. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

For a little variation in study methods and a different source of info, try http://www.professormesser.com/2008/03/15/professor-messers-free-comptia-a-certification-training-course/

As is says in the URL, free.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job