Completing ALevels

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by fluffy.angels, Mar 1, 2009.

1. fluffy.angels

fluffy.angels New Member

Hi, Please Help!!!

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could possibly help me! I tried 'Googling' stuff but I couldn't find anything! To cut a long story short, I sat my AS Levels and completed them in 2004, resulting in a 'B' in English Language and a 'C' in Law. I began my A2 in college and sat the standard exams in January 2005 however due to some family commitments, I was unable to complete my A2's! So I tried to have a look around and research if I was able to re-sit the A2's but no such luck. I work full time and do want a degree.. Also to mention a vital point, my GCSE's, I came out with low results, around 3 GCSE's C and above cos my Dad passed away 3 months before my exams, my college overlooked that cos my predicated grades were high. Please help! As I am desperate to start my education again ASAP! Any info would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

FluffyAngel

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, please introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

OK, I've only quoted this snipnet as that is what I'm going to answer. You want to do a degree, however you haven't stated what your age is. Depending on your age you can do your degree part-time in the evenings, I believe if your over 21 you are classed as a mature student and since part-time students do not go thru UCAS but thru the individual Uni's directly, they can wavier certain entry requirements provided you meet others (eg work experience, professional certification and/or even maturity* each college/uni have different exemptions).

You could do an online degree, however make sure that it is from a reputable college/University and not a degree mill, as those degrees/diplomas aren't worth the paper they are printed on. So if you go down that route research the educational establishment properly.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Try approaching various colleges/universities and explaining the situation, most probably you will have to do a foundation year or start with a lower qualification like a HNC/HND or foundation degree, there is absolutely no reason why you still can't get a degree, providing you are smart enough and are prepared to put the work in.

I thought about dropping out of both my A-levels and degree at different times, it can be tough, but I stuck it out and I am very glad that I got there in the end. Take it one step at a time, be determined and 'Never Quit!'.

I'm currently doing an OU course, at the OU its not uncommon for people to have taken decades to getting round to doing their degree !

Best of luck ! :D