Finally made the career change.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Carlsberg Wordsworth, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Well this kinda follows on from 'bite of the cherry' post.

I had an interview back in July for a Field Service Engineer role but didn't get it as was told was a bit far away for the area covered.

After receiving a call from a short 2 week stint with another company to get some experience, I had a call the following day from the July interview saying a position has come up and are giving me the job if I choose to accept.

Well what could I do? Rang my 2 week stint place and explained that I would take the July offer to get more exp and in the future I would like to work for them and it will benefit us both, yes fully understand, well done, stay in touch, always happy to see you etc.

Crikey. Talk about buses. Even places I had enquired about at the start of the year started to get back in touch. I suddenly had to send out emails stating I had taken on something and if anything changed in the future I would be in touch and thanked them for remembering my previous application.

So I accept the July offer and have handed in my notice. Due to start in the new month.

I would like to add that whilst getting a job in IT has been a long slog since passing A+ (just over a year) that it's a bit like a well known drink slogan.

On saying that, a word of advice to those also changing career. Handing that notice in, especially after a long period of time ( in my case 18 years) is one of the hardest things to do. I was shaking pretty bad all morning.

In fact it was more nerve racking I found than any interview so far.

But there we go. I hope it's all worth it in the end. If I never accepted it it would be niggling the back of my mind for ever plus there is always the option of going back to my previous employment.Which was offered, so that was good.

Onward and upwards then :)

Certifications: A+ Certified
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations from one career changer to another. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Wow congratssssssss :D

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats, I know it's not easy changing a career, especially in IT when it's really hard to get that first job. Well done and good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the new job offer :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Thanks for all the Congratulations everybody. Sorry for the slow reply. 1st day tomorrow.

Gulp! :biggrin

Will hopefully get a chance to tell how it goes after tomorrow time permitting.

Certifications: A+ Certified
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Belated congratulations! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA