Whats a decent pay rise?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Apr 14, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I know this is a debated topic but what do you reckon is a decent pay rise is after your first entry level job?

I am currently on £16k as an ict technician, what would be the next salary level 18? 20k perhaps?

I am quite happy in my job but there is no scope to climb the ladder and progress further as there is a flat strucuture of 3 techies and 1 network administrator. After a few months I am lookin to put myself out there again!

Fat P. :)

2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

My first IT job was first line support for a big computer manufacturer, used to get £13k a year. Got my current job as second line support and server/exchange admin and got just under £20k as a starting rate. I have seen first line support jobs range from £14k to £19k, it all depends on the employer, your experience, and how much they value good techs, you pay peanuts and all that.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

I'm in the same boat as you mon frere. I have my appraisal this week and have been told i'm getting a pay rise now i have passed a+, what that will be i don't know, i don't want to be over ambitious but don't want to mug myself off either!!

I guess we'll both have to wait and see!!

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

It depends.

If your present job has no room for progression then you would want a large amount as a payrise. Say 2k-3k to even out the fact that it is likely you will be in exactly the same position with exactly the same responsibilities in a years time.

On the flipside of the coin you might move to another company offering 14k, however this company may present you with lots of learning opportunities and lots of scope to move up in the company.

So I think I'm trying to say this all depends on whether you're working off a 5 minute or a 5 year plan or something in between.

I am in the midst of taking a fairly big pay-drop from 20k down to 16.5k so that hopefully in 5 years time I'll be on 25k - 30k.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If a pay rise is equal to or greater than the inflation rate, it is good. If it is less, then it is bad.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

most pay rises as Bluerinse says are inline with inflation so you could get 3% - 5% or so.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Pay rises at the same company are usually quite small, but changing roles can often bring substantial additional rewards, as well as new challenges and such
    My salary has never gone up more than 5k at a single job, but it's gone up close to 15k between jobs

Heres a break down of the early part of my career ( -> is a job change, | is a pay rise at the same job)

Start -> £8p/h|10p/h -> £12p/h -> 19k|20k -> 28k|30k -> 35k -> 35k -> 32k -> 45k -> 60k -> ...

That takes us to about 2005, I started my career proper in 1996 (8p/h) when I was 14 and my first permanent role was 19k when I was 18 (2000), you will notice an area where it stagnates for a while, you will always come up to walls in your skill set that you need to break down in order to progress to the next level, for me a lot of that was around my age, I was often put forward for team leader roles and positions with more responsibility but no body could really hire someone so young as I wouldn't earn the respect of the team, and that would be disruptive..
    I never understood that then but I do now, ones you break down walls you can carry on up the ladder, It's not even that important to know where you want to be, I used to be really into networking, did loads of cisco design stufff, did some courses and such, and realised later on that it was kind of boring for me, so changed
    As long as your core skills are in place, they are fully transferable, and any technical skills you have help wherever you go, despite what job ads list!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Cheers for that Phoenix. Sound advice as usual.

9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I would say inflation - which at 4.5% currently (proper inflation including rent/mortgage and fuel) is unlikely at my current company!

Had my pay review at 6 months - nowt.
    At 18 months (this month) - 2.27% increase!

Just to help - Linky - is good for comparing salaries.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Its usually a good idea to check out the employement sites to see how much people are offering for similar roles.
    If you are earning more then thats good (obviously), take into account number of year service will probably make it higher, if not then may be worth looking around or seeing if you can get your salary bumped inline with the market ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

your on 60k at 26? :o :eek:

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Look at it from the company’s perspective. A raise from 16K to 18K doesn’t sound like a huge jump. But that 2K is 12.5% increase. You may be worth it (probably are :) ) but in terms of the business how do they justify such a leap in salary.

It would help to have a good review; achieve particular certifications, but still. The business sees that the current staff has done this job for X-salary. They’ll have a hard time justifying a 10+% increase until they go out to the market and find they can’t replace the role at the same money.

That’s what Phoenix’s post shows. Most companies can justify Bluerinse’s point:

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The reason i said this, is because companies are run by bean counters, and those bean counters allocate a certain amount of money per year for salary increases across the board. You will be one of many that are looking for an increase in salary, and you wont be the only person in the organisation that thinks they deserve more than they are getting. So, the allocated money is divided up between all the employees that are in-line for a rise.. typically this is the vast majority, only new staff and those under a disciplinary action may be passed over. The amount of money allocated for a rise will hopefully be a little higher than the inflation rate, as the money comes right off the bottom line of profit that the company makes it's unlikely to be a huge percentage.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Not anymore.. dont stay on the same salary for that long! lol

15. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yes that's pay rise, not changing position, reviewing skills and qualifications etc .

I have even heard of some places using the RPI (Retail Price Index)

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

And I expect you to say that experience, rather than age, is the key... 8)

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well it would have to be wouldnt it :)
    why else would anyone pay a 26 year old that sort of money? I have to actually be that VALUABLE to the business in some way to earn that much, as we all do!