Passed 70-536

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by dmarsh, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Just Passed 70-536, it was tough, used Microsoft Press MCTS training kit MSDN online and MeasureUp offline tests.

Harder than I thought, lots questions on stuff not directly in the book, passed anyway...phew ! :biggrin

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Congrats dmarsh :cheers :clap :pepsi :morebeer

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate, nice one! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Nice one. Anything specific I should learn for the test. Its a right sod this one!

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thanks for all the encouragement ! Guess I'd better start on the next one !

Well not sure if theres much I can say that will help others.

Read the MCTS book cover to cover, do all the examples, prob best to do some extra examples around the topics, do the tests at end of each chapter, also make sure you do the CD based test at end of each chapter. Buy the MeasureUp test and take it until you are bored senseless ! You should also really read some of the MSDN online as the book and tests aren't really enough, make a list of all the core classes, look at their interfaces and methods. If you get a question wrong read up on that topic etc.

I found these helpful :-

http://www.cygen.com/blog/index.php/2006/10/23/application-development-foundation-70-536/

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Microsoft_Certified_Professional_Developer/Exam_70-536

http://www.dotnetfun.com/articles/certifications/Passing70536Certification.aspx

Thats about it really, I only scraped through myself, not really a .Net programmer by trade and expect even .Net programmers would struggle due to the breadth of knowledge required.

Hope this helps !

dave

8. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Aye, I been using .Net for a bit now (Years not months) and its still hard to remember how they want everything.

Will get there oneday

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats mate :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I played with the beta when it came out but went back to C++ and Java. Done a few small bits work with .Net over the years but nothing substantial.

11. Hangleton

Hangleton Bit Poster

Well done mate.

I was talking to a guy a couple of months ago who did the whole MCPD thing - 70-536/70-526/70-528/70-529/whatever the other ones are, and he said 70-536 is by far the hardest.

I can certainly vouch that 70-536 is much harder than 70-526, but those are my only two so far. Hopefully it's downhill from here on.

Good luck with the next one. What are you moving on to now, by the way?

Regards,

Andy

Certifications: MCPD EA, MCDST, MCTS SQL
    WIP: MCPD .NET 3.5, MCITP Vista
  12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well MCPD Windows is my next goal, so 70-526 and 70-548.
    That fits best with my past experience as a C++ Windows developer, probably not much point me doing more unless I land a .Net job.

After that I'm not sure, maybe N+, S+ or CEH. Possibly SCDJWS also.

See what I can fit into the next 12 months basically.

13. glosrob

glosrob New Member

Well done and thanks for the links!

I'm currently studying for this exam too so I am sure they will come in handy :)

14. chansam

chansam New Member

:biggrin
    CONGRATS

WIP: MCAD,MCDBA
  15. wvroller

wvroller New Member

Congrats on your passing the test! And thanks for the links. I'm going to be taking this exam in the next couple months. I was wondering if you've read/heard anything about these 2.0 cert's validity when Framework 3.5 is the standard??

WIP: MCTS .NET Framework 2.0 Windows App
  16. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thanks ! :biggrin Not really looked into it recently been looking into a bunch of other certs...

As far as I remember there is a 3 year re-cert policy, I'm not sure how this will work in terms of what exams you can take to recert, some people think any exam in the track counts as recertification, I'd check with the Microsoft site. The .Net versions seem to be going up pretty fast, so did the old MFC and ATL version numbers. Personally I think recert in line with version number for programming frameworks is the wrong approach...