Prometric Rescheduling/Cancellation Fee £21

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by -Mercury-, Jul 21, 2011.

1. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Imagine my surprise when I visited the Prometric website to reschedule 'the beast' 70-291 and they now want £21 to reschedule or cancel! :eek: :cry:

I was reading about it on this guys blog

The Microsoft Reschedule Cancellation FAQ tells us the following :

Q: Why is Prometric implementing rescheduling and cancellation fees?
    A: Prometric’s goal is to provide Microsoft candidates with the right test at the right time and in a location that is convenient for them. As such, Prometric strives to provide each and every Microsoft candidate with a comprehensive selection of dates, times and locations that make it straightforward, secure and convenient for them to test. It is also our goal to provide candidates with the ability to make bookings as much as three months in advance allowing Microsoft candidates maximum flexibility in order to train, prepare, and practice for their exam.

When a Microsoft candidate schedules an exam with Prometric at a particular time and location, that seat is fully reserved for that candidate and is not available for other Microsoft candidates. At the time of reservation, that specific time and date is taken out of the scheduling and registration system; so, by cancelling or rescheduling at short notice, other Microsoft candidates are deprived from being able to use that time and seat.

Therefore effective July 15th 2011, Prometric will implement cancellation and rescheduling fees for Microsoft candidates that cancel or reschedule their testing appointment with less than a 15-day notice. (For a list of applicable fees by country, visit Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment)

Q: When is the rescheduling / cancellation fee applied?
    A: There is no charge to reschedule or cancel bookings that are 15 or more days from the date of original booking. However, any rescheduling/cancellations less than 15 days to the date of original booking will be assessed a fee.

Q. Does the 15 days include the day of the call and the exam date?
    A. Yes, the 15 days include the day of the call. For example, a candidate scheduled for 15-August must call Prometric on or before 31-July.

Q: Are weekends counted in the 15 days?
    A: Yes, weekends are counted in the 15 days as well as local holidays.

Q. What if I call in 16 days prior to the test date, will I be charged a rescheduling/cancellation fee?
    A. No, the rescheduling fee will not be charged. Only candidates that call with less than 15 days notice will be charged the rescheduling fee.

Q: How much will the fee be for rescheduling and cancellation?
    A: Rescheduling and cancellation fee varies by country. Click here for details.

Q: How will this fee be applied?
    A: Your credit card will be charged the fee and will appear on your credit card statement as a Prometric fee.

Q: What if my cancellation or rescheduling is due to a personal or medical emergency?
    A: If you are forced to cancel or reschedule due to personal hardship, accident or illness we will require a medical / police report. For more information, please visit Prometric Services: Testing an Assessment.

Q. I used a voucher for my original booking. How do I pay for the rescheduling/cancellation fee?
    A: We only accept credit card payments for the rescheduling/cancellation fee. Click here for fee details.

Q. If I cancel after having paid the rescheduling/cancellation fee, will my refund include the rescheduling/cancellation fee?
    A. You will receive the amount paid for the exam. The reschedule/cancellation fee will not be refunded.

Q. Am I able to reschedule my booking at a testing center?
    A. Yes, if you have originally scheduled at a testing center, you may reschedule at a testing center. However, if your original booking is originally scheduled via web registration or Prometric contact center, you cannot reschedule at a testing center. You must reschedule or cancel via web registration system or Prometric contact center.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
    DC Pr0Mo likes this.
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Don't really know how to feel about this TBH, on one hand I rescheduled my last MS exam at least 6 times, main reason was not feeling ready/not studied enough to sit the exam, that would have in effect cost me over 100 quid to just reschedule. Under the new rules I would have sat the exam much sooner than I did.

Then on the other hand, it's hard to know for sure what's going to happen tomorrow in your job never mind 15 days, but I see their point, people are now much less likely to reschedule in such short notice, meaning less empty exam rooms.

Is it possible to schedule an exam in say 3 months from today, then reschedule it to a sooner date, like in 2 days time, if that's the case, that could be my new tactic.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Whenever possible I try to book my appointments directly with the test centre.
    I usually find them more flexible and accommodating that Prometric themselves.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Looks like I'll be booking all future exams through my local testing centre directly then.

What's the point in using Prometric if they keep adding caveats and offer a slow, clunky site to book through?

Thanks for the information Mercury. +rep for you.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

I don't like the changes one bit to be honest. It just looks like money grabbing!

The one thing I loved about the system was its flexibility. 70-291 is a hard exam to get right but the pressure was eased knowing that I could quickly reschedule without penalty. So long as I gave them enough notice, which is fine and they could have increased that to say 72hours?? 15 days though is a bit much and just looks like a new revenue stream that has been forced upon the test taker.

I like DC Promo's idea though and too wonder if it would work?

"Is it possible to schedule an exam in say 3 months from today, then reschedule it to a sooner date, like in 2 days time, if that's the case, that could be my new tactic." - DC Pr0Mo

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I must say, whenever I've been sitting an exam, I've been the only person in the room.

Can't see how I'm preventing other candidates from testing... :rolleyes:

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I suppose the only 'good' thing about this, is that now I have to take my Configuring Exchange 2010 exam next Friday whether I like it or not :p (I already rescheduled once before).

*sigh*... better hit the books again

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I still think I'd rather lose £20 rescheduling an exam I wasn't ready for than £100 by failing it... :biggrin

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I just wait until the last minute to book, that way I know I'm ready and no kerfuffle...

Only downside is sometimes I need to check 3-4 test centres and drive upto an hour.

Whenever I've asked all test centres have forced me to book with Prometric.

Cancellation fee seems fair but a little high.

10. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

$35! I rescheduled the last exam I took 2 or 3 times - glad this was implemented yet. From now on I'll just wait till just before the day I want to take the test or take it as a walk in Sunday morning when there are always empty seats.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA