New Job - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, May 12, 2011.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice. In my current Sys Admin position I am the sole person looking after the entire infrastructure for around 100 users - this is everything from changing a mouse to migrating to Exchange 2xxx (for example). As I am the sole person I am exposed to alot of different stuff and so pick up alot of knowledge (though could be claimed as jack of all trades, master of none :) ). The problem is that it is a 2 hour round trip each day, I am (I think) underpaid, I have been with the company for ages & I feel they take advantage a bit and they have no career progression.

Now, I have been offered a new job with a global company and they have the bulk of their systems overseas. I would be doing the day to day support for the region. The travel would be halfed, the salary is a 30% increase, they have additional benefits, and they are offering a way to move up the company. The problem is that I feel that I would be getting my hands dirty a bit less than at the moment.

Just wondering what people thought may be more important, exposure to technology, or maybe not as much exposure but more career progression?

Or maybe I could be naughty and use this to just try and get more money from existing company?

Thanks for advise.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Everyones different really.

Obviously you will be saving money, and making more by the wage increase.
    The thing is is there a "written into the contract" career progression? There are no guarantee of these things to be fair and the amount of spin ive heard from hiring managers has been rediculous.

You would be giving up potentially the free reign you have at the moment and be pigeon holed doing less fun stuff.

On the flip side it does sound like you are unhappy with your current role, but the thing is, have you put forward your grievances to management?

From your experience it sounds like you should be aiming for MCSA certs, maybe an exchange cert as well, then maybe when you do move it will be a sideways move to a bigger, better company rather than the "step down"

I think the clincher for me is the training the bigger company would provide, if they are willing to train you then youre on to a winner.

Good luck in what you decide

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply. It is a toughie. I like the role I do at the moment, I am pretty much left to get on with it and do have free reign. I just have problems with the company. They have no career progression from where I curently am (they are too small probably), the travel is getting bit much now considering petrol costs etc. (2 hours in the car each day), they take advantage of the length of time I have work at the company and that includes with regards to the salary. As I started as a trainee on £50 a week or something and they seem to think that because I only ever got no or small increases then that is the way it will always be. They take alot and give little back etc. etc.

Think I have got to a point in life where I need to sort out what I going to do career wise.

Financially I would be much better off in the new position, and they did say that they like their staff to progress and they prefer to promote from within where possible and they also said that they already know that they will need another person in the future and that if I would like to manage the team then they will support me in that. They basically said that the role is for me to develop as I see fit. I suppose it is difficult to tell, it could be as the new role develops I would be doing more and more but I do have to bear in mind that as I understand currently a few of the things I am looking after now are overseas and handled by the main IT team.

Maybe I will wait to see what the contract/terms say when I receive them. I haven't gone to them with my grievances to them, I suppose I could, or I suppose I could go to them and say someone has offered me a new job what are going going to do about it (but maybe not that bluntly :-) )

Thanks,

D

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well it is only fair you give your current employer a chance to match or improve on the salary side of things, you should be paid fairly and to the market value your skills bring.

From what you are saying the new company sounds more attractive in some ways, what i would say is that being able to fix an issue but not having the permissions to do so is very frustrating, however it could be that in this role you could use this to your advantage if you find there is time for development.

Also the travel time you will save will mean better quality of life and many reduced costs.

Are you actively seeking employment? There may be other local roles which have a more similar role to your current one, although i think the lack of MCSA at the moment may hold you back, it is definitely worth keeping an eye out.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

If you have got everything you can from your current position, I would say move on... moving into a team environment and bigger company presents itself with new opportunities and things to learn...

I have been in similar position to yourself.. although great.. you need career progression.. not always about money but since you say you are getting increase then its a bonus..

If you decide you dont want to move... then start studying and pushing your career forward yourself... there is always opportunities if you look in the correct places.

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  6. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Hey djw, I currently work in a place where the main bulk and the most interesting IT stuff has been moved oversea's and i can honestly say that its the worst thing ever! I no longer use the the skills i had built at my old job and i took this on the same kind of promises that were made to you i.e. more money and progression. I am on more money but there's no progression in the area they offered and i'm stuck basically (currently looking for a new job again!!!), and like Kevicho said, you don't want to pigeon hole yourself. Find out for sure what areas you will be progressing in. Is management the area you want to move into? or do you want to advance technically?. I wish i was still using the skills in my old job and you don't want to loose out on using them. As mentioned earlier, it might be worth having a word with your boss regarding your pay and express that things are a bit tough at the moment and you was wondering if a pay rise would be out of the question. If you don't ask you don't get and at least will have a definitive answer which will enable you to move on from there. I think you need an answer on pay before you make a decision on taking this new role. I also think you should apply for other roles and don't just rest on this new one. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Certifications: A+ MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCP 70-290
  7. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies and good advice. I think it will always be tough moving to another position where you do not have as much freedom as you currently have, I suppose that it is a case of how much freedom is lost. I pretty much have full control over the IT infrastructure at the moment and whilst I ma sure I will get what I need to support the region in the new position I am just a little worried that the restrictions will drive me mad. Also, I do get to have hands on experience with alot of stuff at the moment (for example I am currently installing a new Exchange 2010 server at the moment) and I am concerned that in the new position I may start to lose some of those skills if I do not use them (for example, the mail servers in the new company are overseas).

However, the new company have said that they are desperate for someone to come in and sort things out for the region and to be proactive in the role, and they are also very open to suggestions as to how new IT technology can help them. Also the salary they are offering is not the kind of salary that is offered for someone just doing 1st line support for example. And as well, I can't escape the fact that they are closer to home - I know it isn't really a great reason to take a new job but when you have a little one and are missing valuable time with them because your driving to and from work it does become a consideration. I can't escape the fact that even if I stay where I am and the offer more money I will still have the time and cost travelling.

Hmmm, decision making to be done over the weekend I think. It may be that I will have to come in on Monday and have a word with my Manager and see how that goes. I suppose they can always say nothing is going to change and then at least I will know where I stand.

Cheers,

D